Feature Requests: Keyboard Shortcut to hide/show vertical tab bar

Brass Contributor

I'm loving the vertical tab bar natively, but just have a few simple feature requests  that would make it that much nicer for a power user:

1) Provide a keyboard shortcut to collapse and expand the vertical tab bar.  I love the vertical tab bar for allowing for titles to be visible even when you have a decent number of tabs, but it does take up a lot of horizontal space, so I am often switching between it being and expanded and collapsed.  A keyboard shortcut (something that requires only left hand) would make this so great.

2) Remove the 'x' from each tab unless the pointer  is hovering over it.  The 'x's on every tab just takes away space for showing more of the tab titles.

12 Replies
Just wanted to bump this in case anyone missed it; is this a feature anyone else would be excited by?
Hi,
I don't think keyboard shortcut would help me. even if i open the vertical tabs sidebar with shortcut, i still have to move my mouse cursor over there to select a different tab, so that key press would be unnecessary since it automatically expands when i hover near there.
Two points on that:
- Sometimes I just want to see the titles of other tabs, and not necessarily navigate
- I commonly switch tabs with keyboard shortcuts - Command-Option-Left and Command-Option-Right (for macos), or Ctrl-Tab, Ctrl-Shift-Tab
Sure, i just use the shortcuts and Alt + Tab shows me tab titles, don't rely on vertical tabs or Edge showing me them. i usually switch between different programs and Edge tabs smoothly with Alt + tab.

@charlescharles Hey now standard macOS keyboard shortcut for Switching to next open window for the active app (Cmd + <) is hijacked by Hide/Show Vertical Tab Bar!

You can't do that. Don't hijack system keyboard shortcuts. Bring it back. Now.

I am disappointed that this isn't already a feature. :(

Sometimes, when presenting, I want to hide all of my tabs. I hate the auto-hide behavior because when you have a sensitive mouse, it opens-closes-opens-closes-opens-closes, etc. In a lot of applications, you can expand and collapse the side-bar with `[` or `]` keyboard shortcut. Would really be nice to have this with Edge, now that I've switched to it from Chrome and Firefox.
I agree, this would be really useful for "power users".
I would love a keyboard shortcut to pin/unpin the horizontal tabs!

Please, please add the keyboard shortcut. Vertical tabs that can be grouped and substitute the horizontal ones is the main reason I've migrated / I'm migrating almost all my profiles to Edge. I'm constantly expanding and collapsing and yes, it's the main hindrance for a real/complete flowing experience using Edge.

And maybe add it to the vertical panel, which I'm recently discovering could be useful, but I'm still not convinced just because of the lack of shortcuts (I can't understand why make these powerful options so expected by advanced users and then hinder the process due to the lack of keyboard shortcuts. Please include shortcuts!

I asked for this years ago - I really hope they'll add it. It is a no-brainer.

@Pillowes All `F6` does it act similar to typical Tab key functionality: switching between address bar, bookmarks bar, and then it temporarily shows the collapsed tabs.  I had to hit it 3 times for the collapsed vertical tab bar to appear, and even then, it was only temporary.

Good to know, but not ideal.