[Feature request] Web Apps (PWA) - Option to enable/ disable extensions per app

Iron Contributor

Edge web apps are great, and I like that Edge Extensions is used inside the apps.

One feature request that would further improve this though, would be to make us able to enable/ disable extensions per installed web app.

For instance, I want dark mode from Dark Reader in some apps, but in other apps I don't want that. Well, bad example, Dark Reader has a user maintained list of domains to either dark mode or not dark mode. But you get the point.

3 Replies

@Olav Rønnestad Birkeland this is another good suggestion. We have heard this request from other app developers as well. I can imagine some media streaming app creating an extension that they only want to run in their PWA; I can also imagine that after you install a password app, you don't need that enabled for a lot of your PWAs.

This is definitely something we want to consider.

-John

Hi @johnjansen .

Is it possible to have that also for pinned websites who acts as own window and have the start menu tile.

Because there are extensions that I don't need in this pinned web sites. For example I don't need an favorites sidebar within such an pinned site's window.

htcfreek_0-1586800049297.png

Best regards.

htcfreek

@htcfreek thanks for this additional feature request. Per current design, it's not possible to disable extensions for PWAs automatically (quite a few have value, and it's really difficult to know which ones would or would not for you). I think it could be something like "disable this extension when in App mode". As an additional feature, perhaps we could have extension developers indicate if they have extensions specifically for App mode... 

Good stuff to think about. I'm creating a scenario in our backlog.

-John