[Feature request] Web Apps (PWA) - easier acces/open the apps

Iron Contributor

For opening my web apps from within MS Edge I have to use the "settings & more" menu or the site "edge://apps".
Please add ways to open the web apps quickly from within MS Edge.

My Ideas for a quick acces to web apps:
1. Having an folder for the web apps in the favorites bar nearby the folder "Other favorites".

htcfreek_1-1586793765962.png

2. If the user is typing the url of an installed web app into the url bar show the the installed web app as result.

htcfreek_2-1586793820599.png

3. Having a fixed URL syntax for opening the installed web apps. (For example: "edge://apps/KEYWORD) Then the user can generate own links to their web apps and open them via typing the url.

htcfreek_0-1586793753372.png

If you also miss or like this feature pleas feel free to comment or giving likes.
(This feature request was also sent via feedback button within Microsoft Edge.)

3 Replies

@htcfreek 

Hi,

That's not for opening tabs, edge://apps/ is a place for managing, not opening, websites pinned as apps.

Spoiler
not all websites are PWA (Progressive Web App). Edge simply pins website icons to different locations in OS and sort of installs them, but it does it both for normal websites and those that are PWAs.

to open the installed websites, you have 3 ways:

1. Click on the Pinned website icon on the taskbar.
  2. Click on the Pinned website icon on the desktop.
  3. Click on the Pinned website icon on the Start Menu/Dock in case of Mac.

those are the quick and easy access to open the apps.

1.png

2.png

gfgdgd.png

I think it's great to discuss feedbacks in the community first :smile:

Hi @HotCakeX .

I had not seen that there is a difference between pinned websites and PWAs. Thnak you for that hint.

But what I want to suggest is having a one-click way to open websites pinned as web apps form within the browser. At the moment when I enter the URL of my sites pinned as web app the web page openes as normal tab. But I want to open the pinned site as web app. So I have to navigate the following menu: "Settings & more" > "Apps" > "pinned site". Therefor an easy way over an folder or an link syntax would be nice.

P. S.: The people at Microsoft can watch this discussion when they reading my feedback, because I have send a link to this discussion within the feedback.

@htcfreek 

Spoiler

@htcfreek wrote:

Hi @HotCakeX .

I had not seen that there is a difference between pinned websites and PWAs. Thnak you for that hint.

But what I want to suggest is having a one-click way to open websites pinned as web apps form within the browser. At the moment when I enter the URL of my sites pinned as web app the web page openes as normal tab. But I want to open the pinned site as web app. So I have to navigate the following menu: "Settings & more" > "Apps" > "pinned site". Therefor an easy way over an folder or an link syntax would be nice.

P. S.: The people at Microsoft can watch this discussion when they reading my feedback, because I have send a link to this discussion within the feedback.

You're welcome,

I think for that there needs to be an option (as suggested before) so that for example when I have Bing website installed as app in Edge and then go to www.Bing.com, Edge automatically switches to the installed app instead of loading the site in a normal browser tab.