SOLVED

Feature request: One-time searches with different search engines

Copper Contributor

I think it would be a fantastic to have this feature. This feature can already be found in Firefox and Vivaldi with slightly different implementations. For example, in Vivaldi you can type 'g' and then a term and the browser will search for that term in Google (i.e. g chocolate would result in searching chocolate in Google) regardless of the default search engine.

I do use Bing as my search engine in Edge, but there are times when the results are not good enough, or I just want to see the results differently. I have to go to Google's site and then enter the search term, which is unproductive. At the same time, I do not want to set Google as the default search engine, because I want to wean myself from Google and the Bing interface looks just better to me.

It would also be helpful to do quick searches in websites like YouTube, Wikipedia or Facebook.

• eb
5 Replies
best response confirmed by ahnaf_t (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@ahnaf_t hi, this feature already exists: go to settings, then "privacy & services", then "address bar", then "manage search engines". maybe Searching should become its own top-level settings category, because this feature is kinda hidden right now and many users will never find it. may you have a nice day

Thank you so much!
While I did see the settings, I missed that the keywords were editable.
I agree with the fact that search settings should be put into a higher level settings though so that it can be easily accessible. Current one is buried in pretty deep!
I hope you have a great day too.

@ahnaf_t 

Hi there, welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider Community!

Really you can search with different websites when your address bar has a different search engine(ex. Google, YouTube, etc.), the steps are as follows:

Type the full link of the website in the address bar for the first time(from second time, only press the first letter of link) and then press tab.Type the full link of the website in the address bar for the first time(from second time, only press the first letter of link) and then press tab.

The name of the website you are searching comes on the left and search keywords are entered after the name of website.The name of the website you are searching comes on the left and search keywords are entered after the name of website.

The website selected is searched.The website selected is searched.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I appreciate the detailed help.
I genuinely feel like an idiot now for not thinking of this method for doing so.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ahnaf_t (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@ahnaf_t hi, this feature already exists: go to settings, then "privacy & services", then "address bar", then "manage search engines". maybe Searching should become its own top-level settings category, because this feature is kinda hidden right now and many users will never find it. may you have a nice day

View solution in original post