Favorites Folder Expansion Persistence Changed

Steel Contributor

In the last few releases, I am currently on Version 94.0.975.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit), the persistence behavior of Favorites folder expansion has changed.

It used to be if I clicked on the triangle to expand a Favorites folder, the folder expansion would persist when I next opened the Favorites menus. But if I clicked on the text of the folder name, it would not persist as expanded the next time I opened the Favorites menu.

I found this behavior to be helpful since it allowed me to choose whether the expansion persisted or not. It also allowed me to avoid a growing first view of Favorites that I have to manually collapse to reduce in size.

It will be helpful to me to bring back the ability to choose the persistence behavior I would like each time I expand a folder.

Alternatively, a setting to be able to choose non-persistent expansion or persistent expansion as the standard would work for me, but would not be as flexible.

I have also submitted through Send Feedback.

27 Replies

@Alexandra-R 

Hello

Thanks for your reply

In fact, I (and others) have favorites in a folder (Other favorites, Links for me)
Before when I opened the Links folder, Favorites was displayed, I clicked on the one I wanted and if later, I clicked the Favorites button again, the Links folder was closed

Now the Links folder is open all the time, which is useless in itself

Before it was like that

Capture2.PNG

now it's like this all the time

Capture.PNG

Thanks

PS: the Other Favorites folder is useless but not possible to remove it

Thank you for your follow up. It would be good to have a response from the Feedback items we submitted. This has been going on for several weeks and has been reported multiple times. Based on your response, we can now see that this change is considered a feature, not a bug.

While not wanting to distract the team from resolving issues, this information would be helpful to avoid reporting the perceived persistence of a "bug". The email acknowledging Feedback submissions includes the sentence "We'll keep you posted on our progress.". I appreciate it when I do receive an update, but it does not happen often.

There will always design decisions that don't reflect individual ways of working. For my way of working, the behavior of the Favorites keeps getting further and further away from the smooth flyout design of the legacy Edge.

That said, I appreciate the continuing progress. The only other feature change that I really miss is the blocking of auto-playing audio and video. Since this is still on the Planned list, I look forward to seeing the implementation.
If it's really a feature and not a bug, being able to create folders to "sty/classify" favorites is no longer of any interest since they are all visible now
It does make my normal ways of working more difficult. I have to manually collapse folders frequently so my list of favorites folders does not turn into a very long scroll list. This is particularly true when I use subfolders, meaning they have to be collapsed as well in order to keep the list manageably short.

So far I have not identified a different approach that allows me to organize my favorites, but avoid lots of clicking to manually collapse expanded folders and sub-folders.

@Alexandra-R 

Do you think that we will have a "feedback" on the resolution or not of this behavior?

2 months since this was reported and still no feedback
I'm not talking about a bug reported for 1 year and still not corrected

Unfortunately I don't have any updates here. This change in behavior was intentional, as mentioned in my previous comment. My intention in sending you and others to feedback was to let the team know there's desire to have more customization on this behavior, but there aren't any changes to this planned that I can share at the moment.
Ok thanks for the information, so the folders are useless since they are always "open"
We sent several requests and by several people, I do not see what more we can do

I will install the Stable version, which works "correctly" with the folders, then I will see later for the browser

Thanks

you found an alternative or extension to find the old behavior ?