SOLVED

Favorites aren't staying icon only

Bronze Contributor

I can't replicate it for the feedback simile, but sometimes all my favorites that are set to 'show icon only' will go back to show their text too. A fix would be appreciated because I go to click on a favorite and it isn't in the place that I think it is and I go to the wrong site. 

16 Replies
Do you have more than 1 device/Edge insider connected and syncing your browser data?

@HotCakeX 

Yes. I have 5 or so devices with all 3 versions of edge(chromium) installed. I would have thought that the changes that I currently make would overridden those though.

Yeah, the devs themselves also confirmed the sync engine is Edge insider has problems, it seems that it can't correctly detect the changes and apply them to other devices properly.
for the same reason and fear that it would overwrite my bookmarks, duplicate passwords etc, I keep it only on one device and browser at a time, until the sync engine is fixed and complete.

@HotCakeX Ok, thank you. Just as a note, none of my changes are going to other versions of browsers and i think that it fails and resets my changes to what they were before.

@cjc2112 

FWIW, mine are holding as set.  I do notice something I don't recall seeing previously (maybe, because, I don't have the Favs Bar showing much or often).  An "Other favs" seems to have been added.  I like that, helpful & handy, when FS.jpg is not used.  Personally, now that we have it, I tend to use it lots instead, of opening & closing the Favs bar each & every time something is wanted from it.

FB.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
Microsoft_WindowsInsiderProgram_Wallpaper.png

@Drew1903Thanks for the tip, I think that will be useful. Another problem just came up that may or may not be related to this: Canary is crashing after I give it about 5 or so clicks.

@cjc2112 

You're welcome.

Well, my own Canary is, certainly, not doing that, thankfully. I suggest you remove Canary. Next go grab a fresh DL of it from HERE.  Then, re-install it.  Please, let me know if this helps.  Thanks.

Cheers,
Drew

FYI: The image is the wallpaper that was given to Windows Insiders for the 5th Anniversary of WIP.  Myself, I have been with it since Day 1.

@HotCakeXThank you. I figured out the problem before I read this, but this confirms it. It's sync related.

You're welcome :)

@Drew1903I finally uninstalled it, (my school computer didn't do it so I had to go through file explorer, start installing Firefox 70 again so I could see where it was saved, copied the address, paste it in file explorer, search 'edge', find the folder for canary, delete it, realize I had to delete the update one as well, and delete both of them), anyways,

I got it to re-install, and I found the culprits: Syncing favorites. Everything else syncs fine, but syncing favorites is crashing it.

@cjc2112 

"syncing favorites is crashing it"

Thanks for doing that exercise & getting back to me.  Be sure to report that to Feedback.

Cheers,
Drew

I updated to Version 80.0.317.1 (Official build) canary (64-bit) and enabled full sync options, everything is back to normal :)
best response confirmed by cjc2112 (Bronze Contributor)
Solution

@Drew1903 

@Drew1903 wrote:

@cjc2112 

Thanks for doing that exercise & getting back to me.  Be sure to report that to Feedback.

Devs ARE aware of it and they fixed in the latest canary version.

"We wanted users that had multiple devices with different screen sizes (our favorite one is a Surface Studio owner who has a Surface Go for travel) to have control of "Show icon only" for each device. We are exploring a way to set this setting for multiple favorites so it's more efficient. "

that means whether a favorite is set to icon-only or not is not going to be synced between different devices.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/dev-channel-update-to-81-0-410-1-is-live/m-p/1164...

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by cjc2112 (Bronze Contributor)
Solution

@Drew1903 

@Drew1903 wrote:

@cjc2112 

Devs ARE aware of it and they fixed in the latest canary version.

View solution in original post