Favicons for shortcuts change globally and then are cached without changes to the saved URL

Steel Contributor

Okay, so here's a thing... not sure if this technically a bug, but there is a weird interaction with recent changes made by the Office.com team. I'm sure it affects other sites as well. (This behavior appears to be nearly the same in both Edge 85.0.564.51 and Edge Canary 87.0.650.0.)

Several months back I created a new 'Favorite'  for Office.com on the far left my the 'Favorites Bar' for Office.com. Just a link with a blank title... this worked great for the past month or so:

Screenshot 2020-09-24 151129 - Favicon initial.png 

(Presumably) due to a recent change by the Office.com team, if open Word from that page, we are now sent to https://www.office.com/launch/word?auth=1 instead of https://word.office.com or somesuch. That is fine as it is, but if someone merely does that and creates a new blank document, the next time they create a new Edge tab, they are liable to see this:

Screenshot 2020-09-24 151327 - favicon final.png

Notice any difference?

Now, this isn't that big of a deal to me, but I made the mistake of setting up the same type of Favorite for the little old lady who runs the office at the synagogue down the street. Randomly, she's going to see the office logo disappearing from time to time....

I imagine this is happening because Edge is trying to use a cached copy of the favicon, even when that changes, but keep in mind that in this case:

1. The favorite is always set to https://www.office.com/?auth=1
  2. The favicon retrieved on a fresh connection office.com presumably hasn't changed

Summary:

• Apparently some sites make dynamic changes* to their favicons, and Edge respects and displays these.
  • Edge displays these modified favicons as icons for browser favorites, but only until the favicon is clicked (even if in another tab in another window), when the current (original) favicon is retrieved and displayed.

Example: If a site (let's say a webmail app) changes its favicon, while it makes sense for that tab to be updated, does it make sense for all favorites to that site to also show that change?

In this example, Once the webmail tab is closed, the number of unread messages would cease to be updated in this example, but that stale information would still show in the favorites icons until the next time the site was visited.

Thoughts?

- Jim

* Maybe this provides additional engineering details.

P.S. Just for fun, here's one final screen snip:

Screenshot 2020-09-24 151518 - favicon mismatch.png

2 Replies
Can't you or her simply remove that favorite and add the correct address to the favorite bar?

@HotCakeX 

The favorite _is_ correct.

It is (and remains) set to "office.com".

The issue is that the Favicon shown to the user changes over time, apparently depending on which sub-site they most recently visited. (I don't believe the favorites are being modified at all during this process.)

One can remove and re-add that favorite as many times as they would like; results are the same.

Spoiler

I just tried this again on my browser...

• I clicked on the 'Office' favorite
  • The favorite favicon changed from the red 'O' to the square Windows logo for several seconds, and then changed back. 
  • I clicked on the 'Word' icon on the Office.com left navigation bar
  • Word Online opens, and the favicon for the 'Office.com' favorite changes to the 'Word' logo favicon (in all tabs and in all windows!)