Extension Syncing...

Silver Contributor

@Elliot Kirk  @josh_bodner 

Extension Syncing coming to an Edge Browser near you soon....  This might not be available to everyone that is using Version 82.0.424.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit).....  And a Testing this out we will goooooo....

Annotation 2020-02-13 152110.jpg

Dennis5mile

24 Replies
Ah thank god they didn't postpone it to the next month. I still don't have it though

Other news websites saw this post and wrote articles about it and also gave credit by mentioning the link to this topic, Good job eagle eye ;)

Spoiler

Edit: found more

Spoiler

Well, Blush.... lol

Thanks for the post and links... Windows Central is the only one that actually used my name.. lol.. Have you received the extension sync yet?

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile  sadly not yet.

Awee..

uh me neither, hopefully in next build, have you tested it with Chrome store extensions and Microsoft extensions together?

@Dennis5mile How I can enable it? or it's server side?

Yes it is server side. there is no flag or option to enable it. it's part of the Controlled feature Rollout program where Microsoft hand picks some Edge installations and actives certain features on them. user has pretty much no control over that area.

@Dennis5mile 

Extension syncing. Ok, I installed Canary latest version on another system of mine made sure all syncing options were on. The 7 extensions I have from this system synced perfectly with no problems at all. They even synced in the same exact order and position I have them here on this system. Other than logging into some of them like lastpass, office ext.. Which would be natural, I had to open the settings page for AdGuard and Ublock Original and reset them... Extension syncing for me went perfectly with no problems...

Dennis5mile

p.s. I did already send feedback on my results...

Were they all from Microsoft add-on store or Chrome extension store too?
Just AdGuard from chrome store, which I am changing to MS store now that they have it...

Dennis5mile
Microsoft extension store have some outdated extensions.

ublock origin for example

on Chrome Version 1.24.4: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm

on Microsoft Version 1.23.0 (hasn't been updated in months): https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/odfafepnkmbhccpbejgmiehpchacaeak?hl=en-US

so if i were you, i would be careful what I install from Microsoft extension store. it's possible to miss security and feature updates, and even in the above example, the extension publishers be different and that leads to lots of different issues.

@Dennis5mile 

Ok, so, I install 2 new extensions on my main Canary system. I drag and drop them where I want them to be placed. I go to my other system and log in and wait for it to be synced. The extensions show up and they are in the same exact place I had placed them on my main system. Great! Syncing extensions works great right? Problem; I go to my other system and I delete those extensions because I really don't need them on that system. I come back to my main system and low and behold, they also got deleted from there!!  I don't believe this should happen.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this is Not good...

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile wrote:

@Dennis5mile 

Ok, so, I install 2 new extensions on my main Canary system. I drag and drop them where I want them to be placed. I go to my other system and log in and wait for it to be synced. The extensions show up and they are in the same exact place I had placed them on my main system. Great! Syncing extensions works great right? Problem; I go to my other system and I delete those extensions because I really don't need them on that system. I come back to my main system and low and behold, they also got deleted from there!!  I don't believe this should happen.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this is Not good...

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile 

@Elliot Kirk  @josh_bodner 

My thoughts on how to get by this deleting extensions on one system and they get deleted on all your systems...

What if we had a button ">" next to the sync option, that would either bring up a popup or another page with a list of all your extensions you have currently installed on your main account. And next to each extension is a tic box and whatever extension you want to be synced you would tic that box and it will get synced to all your PC/Laptops or what have you that you are logged into.

And maybe another little area where you could have a choice of

a- delete/uninstall (extensionname) from this pc

b- delete/uninstall (extensionname) from all pc's...

Now you have a choice of either installing all extensions to all your pc's or just certain ones and you have a choice to delete/uninstall an extension from all pc's or just from the one you are currently on...

just a rough 20centsworth of thought on the subject of syncing extensions...

Dennis5mile

today I clean installed Edge canary and I see extension sync is now activated

fggf.jpg

Version 82.0.439.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Oh, Great... Let me know how it tests out for you. See if you get the same results I got....

Dennis5mile
Yeah i'll see how it goes
It's working great so far, I tested it with ublock origin from chrome web store
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/fixed-add-support-for-ublock-origin-cloud-sync-in...

about extension deletion that you mentioned, it's an expected result. sync is 2 ways, when you add an extension on a device, you want it to be added to other devices, when you delete an extension, you want it to be deleted from other devices too. that's how sync works in every program I've used.

@HotCakeX wrote:
.........when you add an extension on a device, you want it to be added to other devices, when you delete an extension, you want it to be deleted from other devices too. that's how sync works in every program I've used.

@HotCakeX 

But this is not always true.  I use other devices for different types of work and on a couple of them my   Wife and Daughter use them.  I don't need to have every extension I have on this device on the others and there is no need to keep them installed on them.   We should be able to pick and choose which extensions to sync and which ones we don't need to have on the other systems we log into.  As Administrator of those other devices I should be able to choose which extensions to sync.  Example, I don't need to have "OneNote" "Office" "Amazon" extensions on the other devices as I do not use them for any of that, but I do on this device.  But, if I delete them on the other devices they will get deleted on this one.  Even if I turned sync off on the other systems so I can delete the ones I do not need, as soon as I turned sync back on, they would either get deleted off this system or get re-installed on the others to keep everything in sync.

justmy20centsworthofopinion

Dennis5mile

Look that's how sync normally works, favorite syncing is the same, OneDrive/Google Drive sync also have the same logic.
obviously extension syncing is not good for your case based on your description.

that suggestion to choose which extensions to be deleted and which ones shouldn't also sounds helpful but if i were in the same situation, I would let each person have their Microsoft account and sync their personalizations and preferences separately.
Or just install extensions manually on each system based on your needs, that doesn't require any type of sync.