Extension's dropdown menu doesn't close when clicking the extension's icon

Copper Contributor

When I open en extension's menu in the top bar by clicking its icon I cannot close it by clicking it again (or any other extension's icon). I have to click anywhere else in the brower window to close the menu. I tried it in both the Dev and Canary channel.

Attached screenshot: The opened menu is not being closed when clicking anywhere in the red marked box. As a user I'd expect that.

4 Replies

@ffelixx 

Hi there, welcome to the forum!
I'm also using Edge canary Version 79.0.278.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

I have ublock origin extension and a couple of others, I can't reproduce this problem. when I click on any the extension icons in there, their menu opens and closes when I click again on the extension icon.

Annotation 2019-09-19 141725.png

try using only one ad blocker at a time, they can cause conflicts when used multiple of them at the same time, preferably keep the ublock origin active.

@HotCakeX Thanks for your quick response. The fact I'm having more than one extension is not the issue.

I noticed that when I move my cursor in the address bar it doesn't change from the arrow to the text cursor until a certain point. Above the extension menu there seems to be something like an invisible box which is bigger in Dev than it is in the Canary. In Canary I can click the upper part of the extension icon - once my cursor is completely out of the menu. Also the when moving the cursor to the address bar it changes to the text cursor way sooner. 

@ffelixx 

You're welcome

No I didn't mean that it's a problem to have more than one extension. I said there could be conflicts between 2 adblocker extensions running at the same time.

Yes it doesn't change from arrow to cursor, it stays arrow but it still does the job. it's the same on Google chrome.

You can see my setup, as I said it's working fine in Canary.

It only has problem in Dev. I just tested it in Edge insider Version 78.0.276.2 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

when clicking on the extension icon on the top bar, the extension menu appears but clicking again on the extension icon does not make the menu go away. users has to click somewhere else on the screen.

again this is only happening in Dev and that mentioned version.

@HotCakeX As you know I'm new here and have to get used to how things work. So if this is nothing to be discussed here just let me know :) 

Anyhow, I don't agree with you that it's working fine in the Canary (Version 79.0.278.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)). Even though the problem is less obvious than in Dev it's still present. I used my Paint skills to visualize where my mouse clicks don't have any effect. That means the extension's menu isn't closed, the favorite icon in the address bar doesn't work and also a click in the address bar doesn't do anything.

This invisible frame also occurs with other extensions.

clipboard_image_1.png