Export Beta Edge settings to stable version?

Copper Contributor

Good morning!

I read that the stable version of Edge is being released this week, and that it will overwrite the existing version of Edge. Will there be a way to export my beta Edge settings to the stable version? I have been so pleased with the beta version that I made it my default browser over Chrome, Edge and Firefox. I've been working in Edge almost exclusively for several months now, and it would be inconvenient to have to rebuild my settings in the stable version. Thanks in advance for your help!

3 Replies

@rmiller1959 "Will there be a way to export my beta Edge settings to the stable version?"

Assuming that you have your EdgeChromium settings linked to your Microsoft Account (MSA), the Stable version should automatically pick up all Beta settings that are replicated through your MSA (e.g. Favorites, light/dark and so on)  just as Beta, Dev and Canary versions all pick up settings from one another now. 

The reason is that Stable will link to the same Chromium-side data that is currently linked to your MSA, the data that the current Beta, Dev and Canary now use. So if you have your settings set up in Beta, Stable will pick them up without any action on your part other than to install Stable.

A side note:  The Stable version may attempt to bring over settings from EdgeClassic, as well, and I've found that in some cases I ended up with duplicate Favorites and so on (See "Deployment - Fonts, Favorites, Sync" and scroll down a bit in the comments).  The way I'm planning to deal with this is to get EdgeChromium Beta set up exactly the way I want it (done), and then remove all Favorites and so on from EdgeClassic (also done).  If there is nothing to bring over from EdgeClassic, then Stable can't bring anything over when Stable deploys.

Hi,
there is no need to import anything, just turn on the sync in the settings
edge://settings/profiles/sync
and once the stable version is installed, it will automatically have your settings.

just make sure you are logged in to the same Microsoft account of yours in both Beta and Stable versions of Edge.