Error: "IE Mode" "Cannot find http://--dualenginehist" Make sure the path or Internet address is ...

Highlighted
New Contributor

Since the update of edge chromium to version 84.0.522.40, we have this error after browsing sites in internet explorer compatible mode: Sharepoint 2013 or others

It's the same with Beta, Dev or Canary version, Windows 10 1809 or 1909.

 

 

"Cannot find http://--dualenginehist" Make sure the path or Internet address is correct"

 

Have you the same problem? Or a solution?

Thanks

16 Replies
Highlighted

@Chris1215 

 

Seeing the same thing here, just started this morning.  Any site that is in the IEmode list does this.  

Highlighted

just to clarify a bit,  we are using 84.0.522.40, and have been since we started rolling out (about 4 weeks now),  this issue did not exist until today.  We have also not applied ANY updates except Windows defender updates (which are set to automatically approve).  

 

 

Highlighted
Running IEMode sites in standalone fixes this issue, but I would rather not open another IE Window to fix this issue.
Highlighted

We opened a case with Microsoft. They can reproduce it and it is related to a IE GPO: https://gpsearch.azurewebsites.net/#1737

If you remove this setting the error disappears.

They are working on a permanent solution.

Highlighted

We opened a case with Microsoft. They can reproduce the issue and it is related to the following IE GPO:

https://gpsearch.azurewebsites.net/#1737

If you remove this setting the error disappears. Microsoft is working on a permanent solution.

Highlighted

I've just had a coworker show me that error. It also started after the installation of Edge 84.0.552.40.

OS is Windows 10 Enterprise 1909 UBR 900 (June updates).

 

So far I only know about 1 affected installation/user and I cannot reproduce the issue on any of my test systems. Really weird.

 

I've opened a case with Microsoft about it. Let's hope this gets fixed fast before it spreads.

Highlighted

I have a solution:

 

Check if this value exist:  "AutoSearch" in:

Registry Hive : HKLM or HKCU
Registry Path : Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main or Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

 

And delete this

 

 

Highlighted

@Chris1215 Ohh, nice. Thanks for the update.

 

I just tried that and it does indeed fix the issue. And if you add the registry key it also creates the issue. So I can finally reproduce the issue on my system, sweet.

 

I had just scheduled a Teams session with a Microsoft support engineer. I'll forward your findings to him and let him know where the issue comes from.

Highlighted

@Chris1215 

 

Thank you, this did fix the issue here as well.  One does have to ask though, how you found this?  Seems like a pretty obscure reg value.  Care to share your process?  I'm also a bit curious as to how that key was created because apparently it didn't exist before yesterday, or something changed on the backend with Edge because we did not see this until yesterday.

 

I also rolled a client back to IE, then re-applied edge and the problem disappeared. 

 

Thanks,

 

Jim

 

Highlighted
Highlighted

Hi @JimKnight , we opened a case with Microsoft, thats where the workaround comes from. For some reason my posts did not get published, so i asked @Chris1215  to publish the information in the community.

 

Highlighted
Highlighted

Hi all, seems to be fixed in 84.0.522.48, no official confirmation from Microsoft so far.

Highlighted

Thanks for the news.

 

It's the same for me, Good News :smile:

Highlighted

Can confirm that 84.0.552.48 is supposed to have fixed the issue, according to the Microsoft support engineer I've been in contact with regarding this issue.

Highlighted

Hi @narutards , we also got confirmation from Microsoft now.