SOLVED

Error code 3

Iron Contributor

Hi,

Any idea what to do with that ?  When I go to About,  I wanted to know which version of Canary I have and here what I see

An error occurred while checking for updates: We couldn't create that component (error code 3: 0x80040154). Learn more Version 84.0.480.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

What do I need to do to get rid of that error ?

16 Replies
best response confirmed by Marc Roussel (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Hi,
we all are getting this error, can't do anything on our side, waiting for the next update for Canary to be released and then reinstall it.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/84-0-480-0-official-build-canary-64-bit-shows-err...

@HotCakeX That clears things up.  Thanx for the info, I will follow there.

@Marc Roussel 

Hi Marc, thanks for sharing. (I cross-posted the following in the other thread, but wanted to make sure you also saw the reply.)

One of our program managers had some initial troubleshooting tips:

"1. Press Win +R, type cmd.exe and press Enter

2. Type “%LOCALAPPDATA%/Microsoft/EdgeUpdate/MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe /regserver” and press Enter

3. Reboot the machine and verify if the issue is fixed."

If that doesn't resolve the error, you can also try uninstalling and reinstalling Canary. And to confirm, there are no known performance effects with this error, it just means that you might not see version 84 changes until after we can push the fix in a subsequent build.

Hope this helps, and please let us know if you see anything else come up!

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted The workaround didn't work and uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't work either

2020-04-11 02_31_19-Clipboard.png

@Marc Roussel Thanks for giving that a try. Here's some good news: I just got confirmation from the product team that they are expecting this fix to ship in the next version of Canary! So hopefully, you should see this resolved very soon.

Thanks,

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted Thank you !

@Marc Roussel 

Fixed in Version 84.0.485.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) :hearteyes:

bvbv.png

@HotCakeX Ok and how do you get that version if there's no way to update due to the error ?

Don't tell me I have to uninstall and install again ?

@Marc Roussel I can confirm that the fix started shipping today! 

If you aren't seeing it yet, please be advised that different machines may update at different times, but we expect everyone on Canary to be good to go by tomorrow. No need to reinstall again. :) 

Cheers,

Fawkes (they/them)

oh no don't uninstall, simply run the online installer once more and close Edge, after installer finished download and installing, you will be able to open Edge and it will be good to go :)

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/

@HotCakeX ;) Ah this is better. Good to know because uninstalling is making some cookies lost.  Ok I'll wait, no rush for me.

Thanx guys !

I was curious and I did download Edge Canary to see the update and it indeed lost all my personalize.  I have to redo all my personalize again. Grrrrrrrrr

2020-04-15 01_36_15-Inbox - geardoom3@live.com - Outlook.png

@Deleted I just downloaded the latest Insider Canary build and this fixed the issue for me.  I am now running 84.0.485.0 and no more error on the About screen.  I just downloaded and installed.  I did NOT uninstall or reboot.

Tell the team thanks! 

@Marc Roussel 

the tiles on the NTP? they sync for me but their icons are not set correctly

@HotCakeX Not the tiles but the PERSONALIZED at the bottom where we set what we want to have like Technologies, Microsoft.  All these are lost at each update and we end up having a tons of feeds we really don't want to have and each time we set them again and not once but twice even thought we set the choices and close the browser.  When we come back it's still lost and then we set them again, close the browser and then and only then the PERSONALIZED is ok !

Unregistered DLL File
Often unregistering or deleting ‘inetcomm.dll’ file may cause Outlook to function improperly and return ‘error 0X80040154’ when attempting to receive emails.

Solution – Re-register the inetcomm.dll file in Windows
Try re-registering the ‘dll’ file by following these steps:

Step 1: Click ‘Windows’ + ‘R’ keys together to open ‘Run’ window.

Step 2: Next, type 'regsvr32 inetcomm.dll'

@Marc Roussel 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Marc Roussel (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Hi,
we all are getting this error, can't do anything on our side, waiting for the next update for Canary to be released and then reinstall it.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/84-0-480-0-official-build-canary-64-bit-shows-err...

View solution in original post