SOLVED

English spellcheck occurring on Japanese characters typed in forms or websites

Copper Contributor

I wanted to report an issue with Edge spellcheck adding red underlines to every single thing I type in Japanese on forms on websites. My default system language is English (US), but I use a Japanese IME on Windows 10 using Edge Chromium.

When I'm writing messages, it is visually distracting for the spellchecker to add red squiggles under my entire body of text.

I'm not sure how to explain it, but if spellcheck could be turned off when it encounters East Asian languages, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you and I enjoy using the new Edge!

4 Replies

@KuroPixel Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community! Yes, that certainly isn't the experience that we're aiming for with the new spellcheck feature. A couple of questions for you:

1. Can you please confirm the channel and build number of MS Edge that you're using? (You can find it here edge://settings/help)
  2. Do you have your OS and browser settings configured for Japanese? (You can check the later here edge://settings/languages)
  3. If you haven't yet, can you please submit that screenshot, detailed feedback, and diagnostic data through the browser? (Shift+Alt+I)

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

best response
Solution

@KuroPixel @Deleted I agree that the spellchecker adding red squiggles to all Japanese text is a pretty distracting experience, but the good news is that we recently fixed this bug. I just confirmed the fix is in the stable channel (83.0.478.37). If you go to edge://version/ do you see your browser version as 83 or higher?

If not, entering edge://settings/help in the address bar should take you to the About Microsoft Edge page, and result in your browser being updated. After restarting the browser you should no longer see the excessive red squiggles. Spellchecking for English should still work fine. There is currently no spellchecking support for most East Asian languages. If you still see any problems after the upgrade, please let us know. And thanks again for reporting the issue.

@BruceLong and @Deleted

Thank you for your messages! The issue has been resolved with the update to stable 83.

@KuroPixel Excellent, so glad to hear it! Let us know if you see anything similar going forward, and we'd be happy to look into it.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

@KuroPixel @Deleted I agree that the spellchecker adding red squiggles to all Japanese text is a pretty distracting experience, but the good news is that we recently fixed this bug. I just confirmed the fix is in the stable channel (83.0.478.37). If you go to edge://version/ do you see your browser version as 83 or higher?

If not, entering edge://settings/help in the address bar should take you to the About Microsoft Edge page, and result in your browser being updated. After restarting the browser you should no longer see the excessive red squiggles. Spellchecking for English should still work fine. There is currently no spellchecking support for most East Asian languages. If you still see any problems after the upgrade, please let us know. And thanks again for reporting the issue.

View solution in original post