Enabling Caret Browsing with F7 conflicts with Japanese input method

Copper Contributor

Hi Edge developers,

I found a little bit weird behaviour of Edge, not sure whether it's intentional or not. Anyway I'd like to report it.

My Environment: 

• macOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
  • Microsoft Edge 80.0.361.66

Summary

The confirmation dialog of Caret Browsing is shown when I typed F7 key even while I'm typing Japanese text.

I think it shouldn't be shown because F7 key is also used by Apple's official Japanese input method.

Reproduction

0. Add "Japanese" as an input source of your keyboard from System Preferences ▶︎ Keyboard ▶︎ "Input Sources" tab

1. Open Edge

2. Select "Hiragana" for your current input source and type "a" on the address bar

- then you'd see "あ"

2. Type F7 key

Result I expected

After typing F7 key, "あ” should be changed to "ア" by Japanese input method.

(it's converted to Katakana (ア) from Hiragana (あ).)

Actual behaviour

The confirmation dialog for enabling Caret Browsing was shown.

Other

• This doesn't happen on Firefox
    • Firefox also toggles Caret Browsing with F7 but it's temporary disabled while typing Japanese on the address bar or a text field on Web page or wherever you can type.
    • Furthermore, Firefox disables toggling Caret Browsing even your input source isn't Japanese while the address bar is focused.
  • it also doesn't happen on Chrome because it doesn't have that functionality :smile:.
  • Not only Japanese, I think this could happen in other languages.

Personally, I like Firefox's way so I hope Edge will also follow it.

Thanks.

4 Replies

@mshibanami Welcome to the Microsoft Insiders community!

Wow, thank you for that remarkably detailed feedback! If you haven't yet, can you please submit all of that feedback through the browser, along with diagnostic data, so that our devs can directly look into this? I want to make sure this gets to the right people.

Thanks,

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted 

I have a same problem here.

I've just sent feedback from "Edge Feedback" with diagnostic data.

F7 key is used for "Hiragana" to "Katakana" conversion on Japanese IME. We Japanese expect pressing F7 key while entering some Hiragana should convert to Katakana.

Thanks.

Wow, thank you for that remarkably detailed feedback! If you haven't yet, can you please submit all of that feedback through the browser, along with diagnostic data, so that our devs can directly look into this? I want to make sure this gets to the right people.

Sorry I missed your suggestion, @Deleted. Since this problem is still happening on my environment, I've just sent the feedback including the URL of here via Edge. Thanks.

@mshibanami Perfect, thank you!

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge