Electron, Chromium/Edge Anaheim and Windows 10 & 7

Steel Contributor

I'm sure this is a big question.

MS owns GitHub. GitHub makes Electron which is based on Chromium. Edge is now based on Chromium. Windows 10 uses EdgeHTML as its system webview. Android uses Chrome which auto updates on Android. "PWA"s aka websites with "installing" capabilities are rising in prevalence. Spotify doesn't use Electron but is very close to it (CEF). MS seems to have a deal with Spotify (as shown in Groove Music). Microsoft has decided that the Store will be something serious and is letting win32 apps on to it. 

Will anything happen? This could be great for performance. Electron still exists for a reason. "PWA"s don't have enough features. Security is a concern to browser developers but permissions exist.

4 Replies

@pneenkoalabear 

This is an interesting suggestion, I can see how that would be useful. I will relay this to the product team.

Gabriel

Thank you! This has to do with Windows too so I hope it's not too much trouble to contact them.
I hope in Windows 10 20H1 planned to come some time around April 2020 the new Edge replaces the old EdgeHTML and as well as the current webview system. the new engine in the webview should make things faster and render better.

and i really hope replacing the chromium engine with EdgeHTML inside the webview brings us a step closer to finally having SETS (the tabbed windows) in Windows.

@HotCakeX I hope so too but I just want tabs in Command Prompt and File Explorer. We're getting Terminal which has tabs. I didn't see a use for Sets as I used virtual desktops and windows and tabs (in a browser).