Edit your existing headers and footers in Edge

Copper Contributor

Hi,

new Edge browser (as well as Chrome) do not offer options to customize header & footers while printing.

Our business receives several reports in html view and they need to customize header & footers. We are not allowed to use alternative browsers like Chrome or Firefox.

Does someone know if this will be possible in the future or found a way how to customize header & footers via Edge

6 Replies

Hi @berbke, you are welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider Community Hub!

Current Situation

There is no way to edit the header and footer while printing and there are no plans for implementation of this feature in the near future.

Workaround

To edit the header and footer, what you can do is print the webpage without the header and footer and then manually add them. This website can help you with that (Note: Use it at your own risk). I recommend you add a margin while printing the PDF in order to avoid overlaying the header and footer, 0.5" as the top and bottom margin seems to work. If you want to add the header and footer manually, I recommend you to use the command-line tool cpdf.

This is crazy and all due respect I am so surprised.

Microsoft have pushed and pushed to use this browser and yet it lacks basic functionality. Why on earth would you remove the ability for us to customise the headers? My software uses a browser as an internal viewer and prints from there. It is in over 50 languages and some of them are languages that windows does not sponsor. So the user might want to add their own text. I it crazy to print and then modify. Please bring back such a basic feature that must take 5 minutes to code. Thank you!

And please make your Print Window resizable. At the moment it is forcing it to fit inside the view window which makes no sense. I have a big screen and I am not in a position to resizing the fixed internal viewer before printing.

I really hope these issues will be addressed promptly please. Microsoft should improve and not regress. Makes no sense IMHO.

@TheShaunSaw 

Have there been any updates to this answer? The footer is very important to our business needs. Is there a reason this feature is not being offered in Edge?

@Caron21 

I would like to tag @johnjansen, a Microsoft Edge Engineer to look into this issue.

@TheShaunSaw Okay, Thank you.

I imagine that the App Assure[1] team is going to get more and more requests about this (and other print preview / printing issues) as the IE11 retirement date approaches [2].

[1] https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/fasttrack/microsoft-365/app-assure
[2] https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/05/19/the-future-of-internet-explorer-on-windows-10...