Edge v80 file uploader looks terrible compared to v79 (if your laptop is at scalings like 175%)

Steel Contributor

The problem is with Edge Dev 80.0.361.23 on Windows 10 v1909. My laptops display scaling is set to 175% (though you should be able to repro at other scalings such as 125%). Bring up Edge's file uploader (Go to bing.com > Images > Search using an image > browse) and look how bad it looks compared to Edge v79, especially the text. Can anyone else repro?

(in the screenshot I use Chrome v79 but Edge v79 looks exactly the same). 79 vs 80.png

10 Replies

Hi@Bdsrev 

Nice find, I could easily reproduce this problem on a totally different setup as well

• Windows 10 insider fast ring build 19536 x64
  • PC
  • Edge insider canary Version 81.0.381.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)
  • 175% scaling

Here is how it looks like on the above setup. very blurry like in your picture

175% Scaling Edge insider canary 81175% Scaling Edge insider canary 81

The same setup with Edge canary 81 but with 100% scaling. notice the blur is gone and everything looks crystal clear

100% Scaling Edge insider canary 81100% Scaling Edge insider canary 81

again the same setup as above but this time trying it on Firefox Dev version 72.0b11 (64-bit) at 175% scaling. everything looks crystal clear, no problem

Firefox 72 dev at 175% scalingFirefox 72 dev at 175% scaling

I'm having the same issue. On some websites, the uploader looks alright but on others, it's very pixelated. It's as if there were two completely different uploaders in Edge.
I'm away for a few days, can you repro in Chrome v80? Canary, Dev etc
I don't have Google chrome installed.

is it necessary though?
It can help us determine if this issue is specific to Edge 80 or if it's all Chromium 80 browsers
But it's a bad requirement to be honest.
I strongly think this should change. I for one switched to Firefox Dev from Google chrome and I'm preparing myself to ditch Google and use Edge stable and Firefox.

I have peace of mind using Firefox for my privacy, using Bing engine, and have access to more useful extensions and themes.

moving forward, I hope this won't be the case and users won't be asked by developers or others to install Google chrome for testing something.

each install of Google chrome increases their market share, send lots of private/public information to the Google servers and the uninstall process leaves leftovers and traces on the user's system.

IMO, a problem is a problem, a bug is a bug. if it's in Edge then it's related to Edge. it's up to Edge developers to figure out where it originates from.

the data collection and telemetry system in Edge should be good enough to provide developers with the right info.

@HotCakeX Then don't do it. No body force you to. 

Yes of course the dev can find the problem themselves, hell they don't even need this insider program to do it, but it will take more time, prob a lot more time.

Help to whatever capacity you comfortable with, no more. But don't actively discourage them to stop asking for extra info (even though they can find it themselves), it doesn't help anyone.

@euhn_outer wrote:

@HotCakeX Then don't do it. No body force you to. 

Yes of course the dev can find the problem themselves, hell they don't even need this insider program to do it, but it will take more time, prob a lot more time.

Help to whatever capacity you comfortable with, no more. But don't actively discourage them to stop asking for extra info (even though they can find it themselves), it doesn't help anyone.

First of all I know I'm not forced, also I'm not discouraging anyone, you got that all wrong there.

In order for them to spend less time, i suggested to improve the built in telemetry of Edge insider so it won't take so long to find out where the bug originates from.

also this part is very important, specially for people who might not know the true nature of Google:

"each install of Google chrome increases their market share, send lots of private/public information to the Google servers and the uninstall process leaves leftovers and traces on the user's system."

on side note, I wasn't expecting this much reliance on Google chrome when Microsoft announced they are going to switch from EdgeHTML to Chromium.

@Bdsrev Confirmed again on a Surface Pro 5 with 200% scaling. No problem in v79. Only appear after the beta version got upgraded to v80.