Edge update and WU

Bronze Contributor

Hello

If microsoft Edge is installed from this file MicrosoftEdge_X64_82.0.451.0.exe, updates are only available through Windows Update ?

No update program is installed with this version (compared to other Insiders versions)

Thanks

16 Replies
Hi,
AFAIK Edge doesn't use Windows update to receive updates,
by the way where is that file available for download?
82.0.451.0 is currently the latest Edge canary and Microsoft doesn't offer offline package for Edge canary Windows last time I checked.

Hi

When you install Edge Canary, this .exe is present in AppData\Local\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\Download\{65C35B14-6C1D-4122-AC46-7148CC9D6497}\82.0.451.0 folder

But no update program is "installed" and therefore the update does not work

and I wonder how to get the updates
This version of "Canary" interests me strongly, it is "stamped as a stable (for the icons)

Capture.PNG

Weird,
so you don't have this file?

%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe

@HotCakeX 

Yes I have this (for a standard Canary installation, via the MicrosoftEdgeSetupCanary file)

Capture.PNG

And this

Capture2.PNG

For news install of Canary

But if I install by .exe, there is no EdgeUpdate directory

Well your folder structure looks fine,
that error message has problem, half of it in English and the other half in French.
I think the French part says the updater is already running and check back later?

@HotCakeX 

Thanks ;)

Indeed, I passed Edge in English for the screen, but the other half in French, probably because my OS is in French

There is no update file installed (EdgeUpdate.exe, etc ...) if I install Edge with this .exe
And according to the error code, that would indicate a problem with Windows Update

Yw,
you can try clean reinstalling Edge canary and see if the problem will be gone

@HotCakeX 

I could try, but this .exe does not include an update function, I think, but why ??

@tistou 

if it's missing from your installation, a reinstall might fix it, because for me it's there

2.png

1.png

@HotCakeX 

With the "normal" version of Canary, I update them without problem
If I want to install Edge with this .exe I don't have the update function

And I wanted to know if it was normal not to have this function with the .exe proposed by Miscrosoft

@tistou 

this is the executable in that folder, it's only 8MB

gfdgd.png

why do you even bother with that? :)

it's obviously not the correct file to use to install Edge canary

@HotCakeX 

Yes, with an update on a Canary already installed, it is this .exe which is present

But on a new installation, it is the file that I indicated to you (approximately 77Mb)

Like I said, I liked the "design" of the icons (stable version icon) :smile:

The stable version should install the updater into a folder within one of the system folders (something like C:\ProgramData or C:\Program Files (x86) ) instead of your user profile's appdata folder. At least it does a long as you install it with admin rights.

@tistou 

oh I got it now :smile:

okie so I can get stable or any other channel's icon on my Edge canary like this

first I create a shortcut of main Edge exe on desktop then right-click on the desktop shortcut...

fsdfs.png

@HotCakeX 

Yes for Canary's shortcut, that's what I did
But I would like to have this icon everywhere (taskbar, any shortcut, etc...) ;)

I thought it was related to Windows Update, because to install the stable version, if WU is not launched (service) there is an error message which indicates that it is necessary to update Windows

Yeah that is just for Stable version, only install the Canary from online installer