Edge SxS Folder

Iron Contributor

Is it safe to remove old build folders located in the appdata\Edge SxS\Application folder?

I have many in there and its about 9GB right now.  

2019-06-11 15_48_34-Clipboard.png

18 Replies

@BumSkull 

For starters, try Edge web installer to avoid this mess instead of stand alone installers. :face_with_tears_of_joy: As to the cleanup, try to uninstall the last release, then use Everything Search to find the remnants and delete. Search and cleanup Registry too.

@sambul95 I have both dev and canary installed.  Both of which I downloaded and installed from the insider page and after that its just auto updated itself.  

@BumSkull 

When you try to uninstall latest or all Canaries, what happen? Can you use Revo Uninstaller or similar? Do those folders only have User profiles? Are they in Local or Roaming?

@sambul95 I havn't tried to uninstall yet.  Don't wana loose anything.  yes these folders only exist under the user profile appdata.  Local

@BumSkull 

If you use only the last Canary and Dev, what can you loose by deleting the previous ones (using Uninstall tool if any).

@sambul95 I deleted all but the current canary build version folder and I don't see any issues yet.  I did find that Dev build was storing old copies in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Dev\Application so I did the same and manually deleted all but the current build version there too.  Hopefully the Edge team can include a cleanup of old version automatically when doing auto updates soon

@BumSkull 

Something is wrong with your setup. Edge for now is intended for Win 10. What Windows version is it? I don't see neither Edge Dev or Canary keeping old copies when updated via browser. May I suggest to export your Favorites, make Extensions list, then Uninstall all Edge copies and Cleanup disk and Registry with tools like Wise Care 365, then manually.

Also in System Disk Properties, do Cleanup-Cleanup System Files, and mark all Windows files, including Windows Update Cleanup. Run cleanup, Check Disk, reboot, then check for Windows Updates. You may also run System Files Checker upon reboot and update.

Hi @BumSkull, This is really not right.  Can you please go to https://microsoftedgesupport.microsoft.com and open a support ticket?  You will likely be asked to send us the 

"%USERPROFILE%\appdata\local\temp\msedge_installer.log" file so that we can understand what has been going on.  It is also safe to delete all but the latest 2 versions.  I will let out support folks know to look out for this and they will be able to help you.  Thank you for alerting us to this issue.

@Elliot Kirk  Thanks I just submitted a ticket.  Ill be happy to provide the file.  Here are a few lines from that file that are basically repeated hundreds of times over.

*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\Application\76.0.175.0\EBWebView\x64\embeddedbrowserwebview.dll: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (0x20)
[0610/083307.532:WARNING:delete_old_versions.cc(107)] Failed to delete stray directory **PII**\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\Application\76.0.175.0: The operation completed successfully. (0x0)
[0610/083307.533:WARNING:delete_old_versions.cc(99)] Attempting to delete stray directory **PII**\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\Application\76.0.176.0
[0610/083307.541:WARNING:delete_old_versions.cc(218)] Failed to delete locked file **PII**\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\Application\76.0.176.0\EBWebView\x64\embeddedbrowserwebview.dll: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (0x20)
[0610/083307.542:WARNING:delete_old_versions.cc(107)] Failed to delete stray directory **PII**\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\Application\76.0.176.0: The operation completed successfully. (0x0)
[0610/083307.542:WARNING:delete_old_versions.cc(99)] Attempting to delete stray directory **PII**\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\Application\76.0.181.0
[0610/083307.551:WARNING:delete_old_versions.cc(218)] Failed to delete locked file **PII**\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\Application\76.0.181.0\EBWebView\x64\embeddedbrowserwebview.dll: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (0x20)
[0610/083307.552:WARNING:delete_old_versions.cc(107)] Failed to delete stray directory **PII**\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\Application\76.0.181.0: The operation completed successfully. (0x0)

@BumSkull 

In Process Explorer, put embeddedbrowserwebview.dll into Find Handle or DLL menu item's Search field, and see what process uses it? Try killing that process and see if its possible to uninstall all Edge versions after that by default uninstaller or updater.

@sambul9  it says 0 results

2019-06-14 10_33_40-Window.png

@BumSkull 

Try checking that file Permissions. Also try running Uninstaller as Admin. Run winver, and post your Windows version here.

@sambul95 build 18362.175  I have full access to that file

@BumSkull 

You might have other undetected system issues as well. If I were having such issues, what I'd do:

- switch off Antivirus. Then do full system cleanup with Wise Care 365 or such

- system disk cleanup via Disk Properties including system and update files, then Checkdisk

- in Admin Cmd run  SFC / scannow 

then    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

analyze that .txt for errors

- Do running Windows image cleanup

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

regsvr32 /u /s CsrBtProxy.dll

-  reboot and try uninstalling Edge Chromium again, check the log

-  if can't, find in Everything and delete Edge Dev and Canary folders. Don't touch default Edge UWP app. If you want thorough Edge cleanup, run monitored install with some Uninstall Tool

-  find with Regedit and delete these and similar (Edge Dev, Edge SxS) Registry keys 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Edge 
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate

- install current Edge Dev and try uninstalling it. Check the log

- install latest Win Update tool and check for updates

P.S. I couldn't uninstall Edge installed by a standalone installer. Edge Support was nice, but did really nothing for me, and then closed the case as I removed it. ;)

@BumSkull 

Yes, it should be completely find to delete the older versions.  But before you do, if you would, please share your updater and install logs.  You can find them in the following places (some may be missing):

• %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\Log\MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.log
  • %LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp\MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.log
  • %TEMP%\msedge_installer.log
  • %SystemRoot%\TEMP\msedge_installer.log

Thanks for trying Edge!

--Lee

@leehu I had uninstalled both Dev and Canary and reinstalled as directed by support when I opened a case with them. 

The only file I have is the msedge_installer.log file which I posted a few lines from that file before.  

@BumSkull 

I had uninstalled both Dev and Canary and reinstalled as directed by support when I opened a case with them.   

Can you share the exact support instructions here?

@BumSkull Re: the log.  Sorry missed the log lines posted previously.  Nonetheless getting the full log gives a history and phasing of what may be keeping the files open so if you have those to share in the future please do. But you did a nice job on honing in on what seems to be the issue -- thank you.

Looks like you're developing with WebView and that the webview app is keeping parts of edge locked.  Can you confirm?  Keeping these old files is not desired behavior, but is a new feature and the WebView team is still working out the kinks.

Thanks much,

-- Lee