Edge support for chrome.gcm API

Brass Contributor

Some Chrome extensions use Google Cloud Messaging to send/receive messages. It appears that such extensions are not working in Chromium Edge. Are there any plans to support this to expand the set of Chrome extensions that work properly with Edge?

For example a developer filed this GitHub issue which doesn't seem to be getting any traction (perhaps there is a better place to file it?). This particular use case is a Chrome extension that works with Join, an Android app which facilitates copy/paste (and many other advanced functions) between desktop browser and Android phone. There are surely many other useful Chrome extensions that aren't working because of this limitation.

6 Replies
Hi,
is Join the only extension?
I read that that API is mostly used in Chromium apps that are set to be depreciated, by Google themselves, soon.

@HotCakeX Good point. Join is the only one I've run into that doesn't work because of this, though I don't use many extensions. Edge supports FCM (Google's recommended successor)?

Hmm I'm not sure about that.. maybe one of the developers can answer this @Deleted 
I think things like Join should have a desktop client, like a Win32 or a nice UWP app, to connect to the phone and send/receive data.
it would be able to read Windows clipboard and make it available on phone.

Windows 10's Your Phone app is soon getting support for file sharing. currently it can only share screen, call from PC, answer SMS, view pictures, view battery level, phone background etc etc

@stevexyz 

We recommend developers to use service worker push messaging as a replacement for chrome.gcm in Edge.  Here’s a good reference: https://web-push-book.gauntface.com/introduction/

Service worker push messaging uses Microsoft’s push messaging service in Edge and Google’s push messaging service in Chrome.  Both push services implement the same IETF standards so the push messaging services should work the same for your partner.

Unfortunately, we cannot provide chrome.gcm in Edge because it depends on Google’s push messaging service.  Use of GCM requires developers to register with developers.google.com, which creates a secret used for authentication.  Long term, Google plans to deprecate and remove chrome.gcm in favor of service worker push messaging.  See this bug for details.

Please let us know if service worker push messaging does not work for your scenario. We will be happy to work together to find a solution. 

I have the same problem with Clipt, a really usefull extension.... Please support FCM!!!!

@furomin While our official response is available via this GitHub issue - I would still recommend that you share your query on this forum:  Discussions · Q A · microsoft/MicrosoftEdge-Extensions (github.com) 

Please share as much details about the issue as possible.