Edge sometimes not listing the Browser extension installed through Registry entry

Copper Contributor

As part of the requirement, I have to silently install my published browser extension to Edge and Chrome along with another component.

So in-order to do that, I created the registry entry in below location 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Edge\Extensions\  with my extension id and update_url key as 'https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx'  ,

Corresponding registry entry will added for Chrome also.

And the registry entries will be removed during uninstallation of the installed component.

Everything works fine most of the time, both Edge and Chrome gives me popup to notify that the extension is installed and also listed in edge://extensions page.

But sometimes ( mostly occurring with Edge browser) doesn't gives me the popup, and the extension is not listing in edge://extensions page after the silent installation. (But still we can manually install it from webstore as a workaround and that is second priority)

Anyone have any hint on why this issue is happening ? 

I checked windows event logs, searched for logs in Edge install directory but no hint so far.

1 Reply
If you also see this behavior in Chrome, then this is likely a bug in the underlying Chromium code that we inherited.