Edge Smartscreen new feature

Steel Contributor

Hello, 

As many people know, FakeNews and other very harmful thing like that are totally messing our democracy, i think it would be awesome to add to Smartscreen a database of these website (flat heart and so on) who will be blocked with a new facultative settings under smartscreen like (block potential fake news website) with a news box on reporting unsecure website (i think this website tell lie or not correct information), a partnership with news guard (to have acces to their database and provide our report (anonymised) to them for further analysis.

Microsoft can be the first to really fight again these massive fake news an complotist theory.

25 Replies
It can't happen because no single authority in the world is able to label news as fake or truth. "fake" and "truth" and often misused by politicians and people to call other news that they don't like, as "fake".
there is a service called newsguard and it's very biased, labels legitimate news sources as untrustworthy.

Microsoft better stay away from this dirty business.
Yes, I agree as well.

Did you know that the Edge mobile app has an option to turn on Newsguard? It seems that Microsoft has donated or contributed a lot to get that their extension is free on all edge browsers.

Mobile Edge already has this and if you wish to have it on desktop, just install the extension but as HotCakes said, it may be very biased.
if i ask to integrate it in navscreen c'est for privacy purpose, their extension is a little too talkative for me (even if they promise they don't use them i don't trust people so easily), so it's why i think that have microsoft who have a database totally facultative (exactly like potential threath), is better since microsoft protect our data i personally trust more Microsoft than the person behind newsguard.

it's why i propose a list maintained by news guard like before, just having microsoft between us and them, to to anonimysation and of course like the mobile one it's must be opt-in and only informe the user not "block" the website.

newsguard was biased and not successful at all. if you want it then install newsguard extension.
the west always labels east as fake, and the east always labels west as fake.
That is very true, why then make a list from Newsguard and make it anymous if the news can't always be considered fake and true depending on where you are???
they don't label as fake have you tested it before talking about ?
They juste say (this website is known for never correct error)
Or they are known to publish false content.
But they don't label anything as "FAKE"

@Wittycat 

HI Mcqael,

Shawn1710_0-1611425263234.png

Here is an image of what NewGuard checks for, it doesn't' say it is false news or not. 

Yes, I have tested it and on day one it was free on Edge, I was using it!! They have a healthguard one as well but that is only for hospitals

i was reponding to "the west always labels east as fake" from hotcakex, since like the screen shot you have sended, they don't label as fake nor block they just warn the user with infomation (who was valide only at the time of the review), so it's just an information to ajust your critical mind, if it's totally red warning, if it's greeen warning but less than red.

You can be biaised and said truth
So this extension isn't the only thing you must follow and use our critical mind.

Oh, I see what you mean now. They can't block you from visiting a site since it is the user's end control to do that. I don't' know much about the new guard and you can contact them if you have any questions. Have you read on their website on how it all works?

SInce they have updated a lot of sites ratings in the past few days in this month

https://www.newsguardtech.com/ratings/updates/

or you can send feedback on something to let them know to improve on int he following link.

Give Feedback - NewsGuard (newsguardtech.com)

Here is how they rate websites :) 

Rating Process and Criteria - NewsGuard (newsguardtech.com)

Have a great day!
Shawn

** note this is not a Microsoft Website

"Yes, I agree as well.

Did you know that the Edge mobile app has an option to turn on Newsguard? It seems that Microsoft has donated or contributed a lot to get that their extension is free on all edge browsers.

Mobile Edge already has this and if you wish to have it on desktop, just install the extension but as HotCakes said, it may be very biased."

Yes, of course i know that, it's right in the settings, the biased useless service.
"That is very true, why then make a list from Newsguard and make it anymous if the news can't always be considered fake and true depending on where you are???"

that has nothing to do with being anonymous, fake and truth shouldn't depend on the location.
as long as the big news companies are controlled by rich people, nothing's gonna change.
"they don't label as fake have you tested it before talking about ?
They juste say (this website is known for never correct error)
Or they are known to publish false content.
But they don't label anything as "FAKE""

Yes I know what I'm talking about, do You?
I've seen it and tested it before, a lot.
the wester media labeling eastern news outlets as fake and untrustworthy is known to everyone. it's an obvious FAKE.
I have no problem if you want to talk politics, again ;)
"i was reponding to "the west always labels east as fake" from hotcakex, since like the screen shot you have sended, they don't label as fake nor block they just warn the user with infomation (who was valide only at the time of the review), so it's just an information to ajust your critical mind, if it's totally red warning, if it's greeen warning but less than red.

You can be biaised and said truth
So this extension isn't the only thing you must follow and use our critical mind."

they have no right to warn/label/block or show any sort of indication to brainwash users.
when you are biased and you are have the responsibility of guiding users, then you are corrupt.

plus, SmartScreen has nothing to do with this.

if you want to use your own mind, then you don't need biased corporates to tell you what news to listen to.
"Oh, I see what you mean now. They can't block you from visiting a site since it is the user's end control to do that. I don't' know much about the new guard and you can contact them if you have any questions. Have you read on their website on how it all works?

SInce they have updated a lot of sites ratings in the past few days in this month

https://www.newsguardtech.com/ratings/updates/

or you can send feedback on something to let them know to improve on int he following link.

Give Feedback - NewsGuard (newsguardtech.com)

Here is how they rate websites :)

Rating Process and Criteria - NewsGuard (newsguardtech.com)

Have a great day!
Shawn

** note this is not a Microsoft Website"

it's not about blocking, it's about indicating and suggesting users which sources and true and which sources are fake.
is a country is on US's side, then they are always true, but if a country is not a US ally, then they downplay their sources and news reports, happens all the time.

Microsoft should stay away from this dirty business.
Yes, I totally agree with the first point, it is just suggesting you but you are in control if you want to believe it or not.

Yes, Microsoft should not be affiliated with this.
Yeah, thanks for the support
You're welcome!!

I have the extension but I don't' really care about the ratings, it is just in the way of all my search results better just remove it.
For some od reason, I can't seem to edit my review on the addons store, you should send feedabck about the newsguard on thier extenstion store!!

https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/newsguard/cgooaaonimepbcidkhgmanahfbinpjdm

To less recommend others about it