Edge silently enabled data collection for Personalization & advertising without my consent

Iron Contributor

I just found the following setting from edge://settings/privacy enabled without my consent AGAIN!  Some aspect of Edge is turning this on.  This is very bad.

rshupak_1-1675324477659.png

Rich

3 Replies

A short while after today's canary update to Version 111.0.1660.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit), Edge displayed the following:

rshupak_0-1675453580242.png

As you can see, I have only two buttons from which to choose.  I don't want to manage the settings which were just fine so I click on "Got it!" which in plain English means "Understood" not "I consent to the privacy violation!"

rshupak_1-1675453739063.png

After dismissing the popup telling me about the feature, I opened settings and found that the data collection was silently switched on again. I do not know if it was switched on because of the clicking of the Got it! button or was enabled by the update.  The Privacy Dashboard at Microsoft account | Privacy confirms that data collection started about 20 minutes ago as that is my oldest browsing history item.

Another issue is that the Learn More link that presumably describes this feature in some detail is not present on the switch setting from edge://settings/privacy which has only a link to the privacy dashboard. 

On a related note, I have the "Alerts and tips button" disabled.  Apparently, this does not disable Edge's display of "tips".  How does a user disable tips like the false messaging above regarding data collection?

rshupak_2-1675453855629.png

Rich

@rshupak 

I experianced the same thing as you explained.

digitalgarage_0-1682626299458.png

This is some kind of manipulation, and this behaviour of Microsoft is matching with pesky intruders/scammers/spammers of the wild. On each update some settings related to data collection and sharing, Ads and shopping are getting turned on. There is no way or atleast I'm not able to find yet to silent/forbid these pesky popups and auto turning ON of various privacy related toggles, please someone help me in this regard.

Hi @digitalgarage.

Yes! I experience the same thing. Microsoft is tricking you into enabling data collection. "Got it" is ambiguous and grossly violates users who do not consent. I assume their employees need to meet tightening data collection quotas, and so deceive us smarter folk - who actually check our data privacy settings - into joining the bandwagon.

"Yes" and "No" is real legal consent. If you were confronted on the street by someone who proposed that they take your wallet, would saying "Got it" agree to handing it over? I have an clear feeling that your answer is not "Yes".