[Solved] Edge sidebar needs to be resizable and open links we click on inside sidebar

MVP

Update:

starting Edge version 109 (currently in canary channel) these features are implemented and available.

When we search for something in the Edge sidebar, a minimalistic view of Bing search is shown, but lots of times I want to be able to drag the edge of the sidebar panel and pull it left/right to resize it, mostly to make it bigger.

also, this one is super annoying, so you highlight a piece of text and search for it in the sidebar, and you find something interesting that you need to click on, the moment you do it, the browser opens a new tab and shifts your focus to that newly opened tab. we need to be able to click on a link inside Edge sidebar and be able to keep browsing inside it, without leaving there and opening new tab.

(the same annoying thing happens with Windows search, the moment you click on a video, picture, website, a browser window opens!)

these 2 features need to be implemented together because they complement each other.

when you are able to open links inside the sidebar, you will most likely feel the need to expand the sidebar and make it a little bigger.

so, the sidebar at its current state is not "very" useful, it sure supplies some quick brief info about subjects but it has potentials that these 2 suggested features can help unleash.

6 Replies

didn't know about this feature.

just test it out.

1) in my opinion you should show us a popup over the selected search with an icon "search sidebar", instead of this

edgesuggestions_0-1604669535789.png

2) how we close it???

edgesuggestions_1-1604669674518.png

i see this thanks to my extension (but this close the tab, not the search...), otherwise i see

edgesuggestions_2-1604669724425.png

we click on x

or this

edgesuggestions_3-1604669759605.png

no x at all

3) drag to right doesn't close it too

4) if i click something inside the search i see directly 

edgesuggestions_4-1604669877293.png

but doesn't work always, like reported in c0, so i agree

5) i agree with other suggestion too

uff again same problem like yesterday, no edit on post possible....

You have autosaved content from 05:42 AM.

Load or Discard i see only this

i upload wrong picture, i mean

edgesuggestions_0-1604670259336.png

or other links.

@edgesuggestions 

Spoiler

@edgesuggestions wrote:

didn't know about this feature.

just test it out.

1) in my opinion you should show us a popup over the selected search with an icon "search sidebar", instead of this

edgesuggestions_0-1604669535789.png

2) how we close it???

edgesuggestions_1-1604669674518.png

i see this thanks to my extension (but this close the tab, not the search...), otherwise i see

edgesuggestions_2-1604669724425.png

we click on x

or this

edgesuggestions_3-1604669759605.png

no x at all

3) drag to right doesn't close it too

4) if i click something inside the search i see directly 

edgesuggestions_4-1604669877293.png

but doesn't work always, like reported in c0, so i agree

5) i agree with other suggestion too

I find that to be annoying if Edge kept offering me that option every time I highlight something.

it's better to stay in the right-click menu.

@edgesuggestions 

Spoiler

@edgesuggestions wrote:

uff again same problem like yesterday, no edit on post possible....

You have autosaved content from 05:42 AM.

Load or Discard i see only this

i upload wrong picture, i mean

edgesuggestions_0-1604670259336.png

or other links.

If you post wrong picture, Edit your comment instead.

@edgesuggestions Right-click, and you will see the option to close the sidebar.

This is a discussion forum...If you really want to provide feedback and make a difference with Window, Edge and other Microsoft products you really should use the feedback feature within each application or use the main Feedback application (WinKey+F). I've been supplying feedback using all the methods mentioned and have seen nearly every suggestion implemented.

Be as detailed as possible, provide a screenshot and really sell it. Also, download and start using one of the insider builds (i.e. Canary, Dev or Beta). I use all four to follow along for implementation of features.