Edge's "My Feed"

Copper Contributor

Alright, so this is not totally related to Beta but since it is part of Edge Beta I figure that it might as well be here as it may lead to future tweaking of the "My Feed" option.

When you open a new tab in Edge beta you have a few choices of how that new tab will appear, without content, with only background and search bar, with news and what-not.

Here's my problem and it's making me turn off "My Feed", after choosing which country you want your feed to be informing you, I still get canadian news from canadian news media which I turned off in the "Personalize" option and it's ticking me off like it's not possible and it also leads me to wonder why I cannot customize which news media I want content from to begin with.

Now it's nice you to can remove topics, say finance, car, travel, etc.  But that's one thing, trouble is, if you want content for say, some sources but not other you have no choice which leads me to turn off "My Feed" totally as I do not want any canadian content at all in my feed (and yes I turned off canada in the Personalize section but that only removes some stuff.

Second thing, I can deal with it with a bit of "violence" by forcing it out with plugins, it's the Bing search bar, I do not want the big search bar in the new tab and there's no way to customize the bar itself, it's bing whether you want it or not.  Of course, I can apply a ZAP of the bar with a plugin and the search bar will totally disappear but I figure why can't I just customize the bar itself?

And yes, my searches are defaulted to google but that does not change the new tab will come with a bing search bar anyway.

10 Replies

@NarcAngel 

You are right.  Can change the search engine, but, not on the NTP.

I tend to pay more attention to Bing.com (as Startup page) or my Home page and just let the NTP open w/ nothing, but, the daily photo.  As for the My Feed, for me, all the same is in my Home page (MSN.ca).  I  poke at, try things so, have mucked about w/ personalizing the My Feed.  I don't know for sure if it sheds any light on what you wrote, but... Canada was where the red circle is (left of World).  I dropped Canada and then, turned it back on, again.  Now, have to 'expand' the list to locate it and it won't be moved back to where it was or anywhere else, but, where it , now, is.

Canada.jpg

This is what I had described that is my choice to do w/ NTP; making My Feed issues moot.  (Though) My Home page is nicely arranged (instead).  Even, on Bing.com I have the Feeds shut off.
Mine.jpg
Only because, I find this dull...
Like this.jpg

A wee added note: even though NTP uses Bing, cannot do visual search there whereas, can in Bing.com.

Cheers,
Drew

Hi @NarcAngel 

Edge insider gets its language preferences for the new tab page news contents from the languages section of the settings:

edge://settings/languages

you can only keep the language you want, restart the browser and new tab page content should be showing in that language.

@HotCakeX That's a no-go, the settings were, are and always are in English United States.  Which means it doesn't affect at all why I am still getting canadian media into the feed itself.  But better yet, there is no reason at all we should not be able to go through the list itself instead of creating a master list of subjects and forcing people to either tune in ALL of that subject or tune out ALL of that subject.

We should be able to choose exactly which media we want within each master category.

I've opted for a blank state too since I am unable to get things as I want them to be.

I mean it's a no-end problem, close Edge or Edge beta, reopen it and eventually your personal settings default back to where they were. It's not the first time I've had to take off things and canada isn't the only issue, I've taken off other things like say "finance" and it eventually creeps back in.

@NarcAngel 

I will admit that occasionally with current Edge I recall resetting the same stuff/Sections on my (msn.ca) Home page, albeit very rarely.  And, has been due to noticing something unwanted & not normally showing, was there (as in, "came back").  But, to repeat it has not been very often, at all.  Have to agree, it is a silly thing to ever have happen.

My trip is, I figure if the stuff is 1 place, the Home page, doesn't need to be another place, as well, hence, for myself, not showing Feeds on NTP or Bing.com.... but, they do have nice pictures :happyface:

Cheers,
Drew

@NarcAngel 

@NarcAngel wrote:

@HotCakeX That's a no-go, the settings were, are and always are in English United States.  Which means it doesn't affect at all why I am still getting canadian media into the feed itself.  But better yet, there is no reason at all we should not be able to go through the list itself instead of creating a master list of subjects and forcing people to either tune in ALL of that subject or tune out ALL of that subject.

We should be able to choose exactly which media we want within each master category.

so what is your current languages set in Edge insider settings that you are getting US news?

Edge also detects those contents based on IP location.
so that could be either your real/physical location or a VPN/Proxy to change your IP to another country, like France.

the other known settings that is proved to have effects on the language of new tab page news is the language set in Edge insider settings page.

Windows 10 language settings could be also related. website do have access to the list of the languages in your OS.
Same, English United-States.

And yes, I live in Quebec so that it does surely works with IP but again my point is that if you take off canada it should be off point blank, IP, language, whatever else factor you include. And this is just a example by the way, you could live somewhere and want your information to come from another place.

I like the idea of My Feed, it gives me a good round about view of the current news around the world so I do prefer to see My Feed and is the reason why I think it would need a good revamp.

As I said, we should be able to remove or add sources from a master subject and not just remove the master subject altogether.
I agree with you there needs to be a simplified option to change the news source and also our location/country for the news contents

Hi@NarcAngel 

Now added the ability to change the location and languages for news content on the new tab page in Version 81.0.387.0

More info:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/new-feature-change-language-and-locale-of-the-ntp...