SOLVED

Edge Profile Sync won't work with Azure AD account - "Sync isn't available right now"

Iron Contributor

Azure AD joined PC. Logged in with Azure AD account which is global admin for tenant. On-prem AD sync is working, write-back is enabled. ESR is enable in Azure AD. No matter what I try I cannot sync my Edge Profile using the Azure AD account. I get "Sync isn't available right now". I also have tried changing my password, no impact.

Licensing is M365E3 which includes AzureAD P1

In edge://sync-internals, I see errors about "Error: GenerateCryptoErrorsForTypes@../../components/sync/driver/data_type_manager_impl.cc:42, cryptographer error was encountered:". Under "summary" it shows that Sync Feature Enabled = TRUE.

Tried using Dev Edge and still no dice.

10 Replies

Same here / Microsoft To Do App doesn't sync either

@DaveRoet I did not. I opened a support ticket with O365 support, they said wrong department. I then opened a proper paid support/contract ticket with Azure support and no reply either (literally no reply and we have 4 hour SLA). Pretty frustrating to follow all the proper support steps and not even get a response.

@Brian Martin and @DaveRoet I'm sorry to hear that! I will pass this thread along to our Sync team and ensure you get the support you need.

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted 

Your support team need better training!!!

During troubleshooting, they had me log out and log back in (from Edge Sync). I did so. Now that I have, they then tell me they need to erase my profile in the cloud and to back up my settings because it will destroy them. I cannot back up my settings now, since they told me to log out, which removes the local cached copy of said profile. Only AFTER they told me to log out and in did they mention they would be erasing that information from the cloud! 

This is not good...

Hi @Deleted,

Could you possibly pass along my details to the Sync team too as I'm encountered the same issue (EA customer) please?

Cheers,

Stephen

Currently also experiencing the same problem but have been unable to solve this for our tenant, some seem to be working fine and other not. There needs to be some way to "reset stuff behind the scenes" for errors like this as it seems to be some token or similiar that needs regenerating.

Contacted O365, Azure and Windows support with this but noone was able to help. O365 support ended unlinking my device from my Azure Domain and I had to reinstall Windows to get it to be able to connect back to the domain. This did not fix the issue with the syncing in Edge for my account tho.

best response confirmed by Brian Martin (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@fsjobeck 

It requires Microsoft to DELETE your Edge Profile FROM THEIR CLOUD SERVERS (in addition to you doing it from Edge). You must have talked to the wrong support department. The people you need to talk to are in EDGE SUPPORT. I believe you have to burn a support incident though, so unless you're on a contract it's $500 I believe (could be wrong on that). We have a bucket of incidents so I pulled one of those and used it.

That should not cost us any money, the issue is CLEARLY a problem on their end, evident by we needing them to get involved to fix it (on their end)

Cheers for the reply, I'll try and figure out how to get in contact with Edge Support as I've been unable to find any way to reach them... Atleast now I know where to start and what the problem is. Thanks!
"Reset sync", under edge://settings/profiles/sync did it for me. This seems to be the "only Microsoft can delete things server-side" option. Initially, it was greyed out. After revoking all sign-ins for that user through Azure and signing into another computer, I could see it after turning sync on. Unfortunately, it deletes all your data, but luckily this account didn't have any.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Brian Martin (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@fsjobeck 

It requires Microsoft to DELETE your Edge Profile FROM THEIR CLOUD SERVERS (in addition to you doing it from Edge). You must have talked to the wrong support department. The people you need to talk to are in EDGE SUPPORT. I believe you have to burn a support incident though, so unless you're on a contract it's $500 I believe (could be wrong on that). We have a bucket of incidents so I pulled one of those and used it.

That should not cost us any money, the issue is CLEARLY a problem on their end, evident by we needing them to get involved to fix it (on their end)

View solution in original post