Edge process

Bronze Contributor

Hello

It's an idea, where ever since Canary's versions, there are more and more Edge processes ?

I disabled collections in Flags and still have the Collections process....
How do I turn it off completely ?

And I always have more processes listed in the Windows task manager than in the browser task manager

Abnormal behavior I think

Thanks

25 Replies

Hi,

let's do a comparison

Microsoft Edge Version 80.0.360.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Google chrome Version 80.0.3987.7 (Official Build) dev (64-bit)

I opened the same 4 tabs in each browser, separately. (4 tabs include: 2 techcommunity tabs, 1 youtube and 1 article on another website)

here is how the Windows task manager looks like for 

Chrome

21 Processes21 Processes

And for Edge

17 Processes17 Processes

@HotCakeX 

Ok thanks ;)

It's true that I compared to the old Edge

I just find it weird to have 11 processes (in Windows Task Manager) on a single web page
And also in the browser task manager, only 7 ...

The 4 more listed in Windows appear from where... :smile:

It's normal

one process per tab
one per extension
one for GOPU processes
other processes for other tasks that I don't know about.

lots of smaller processes vs one big one.

https://www.howtogeek.com/124218/why-does-chrome-have-so-many-open-processes/

@HotCakeX 

Yes, that I know
I was wondering why this difference

Capture.PNG

you should use the details tab in task manager to view all of them at once.
also the task manager of the browser itself always is different than the one in Windows.
they category them differently.

@HotCakeX 

I did not understand why the number of processes is different between the Windows task manager and that of the browser

And I have the same number of processes in the Details tab as in the Process tab

Does the browser task manager not "list" all the processes ?

I think Windows task manager sees Edge differently than its own built in task manager.
obviously built-in task manager inside Edge is more accurate, showing exactly which process is for which extension or which tab.
another good article about this subject

https://blog.chromium.org/2008/09/multi-process-architecture.html

http://dev.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/multi-process-architecture

Hello

Could someone explain to me why on the same web page, at times I have this in the processes for Edge

Capture.PNG

And at times I have this

Capture2.PNG

I know Canary is still a beta version, but here it's more "alpha" version :lol:

Thanks

PS: the behavior of the 1st screen is the best, for me

@HotCakeX 

Yes i saw, thanks for the links

I asked why, for the same web page, sometimes the processes are all grouped in the Apps section
And sometimes they are "separated" in the background process section

@tistou 

Oh sorry, now i got it :)

rtretret.png

so as shown in the screenshot above, after sorting Task manager by "Name", there will only be 1 group of Microsoft Edge (Chromium based) in the Apps section. I couldn't make it 2. even after opening 2 windows and opening multiple inprivate mode windows, it stayed the same and all new processed went under it.

however, in the "background processes" section, there will be lots of Microsoft Edge processes. they are not the main processes though, as they are obviously separated.

lots of programs do this, Firefox, Google chrome, even non browser programs. they have 1 item in Apps section and multiple items in the Background Processes section.

It should be the way how Windows 10 handles programs, or maybe only x64 bit programs. I think to know more about it, we need a Windows 10 developer or engineer. since Windows is not open source, there aren't much info found on the Internet about how under the hood stuff works.

@HotCakeX 

Yes I understood for the background processes of Edge (background processes section)

What I don't understand is why, with the same web page, sometimes the processes in the background, are in the Apps section (with all the others) and sometimes, with this same web page, the processes in background are in the Background processes section (and separate)

Example of my 2 screens for the same web page

It's probably my "too picky" side, but I would prefer to have the background processes grouped in the Background processes section (like those in Application) and as is the case with other software

It would make it "cleaner" and more "serious" and differentiates Edge from Chrome, etc... :)

Nothing picky or anything,
the background process never appear in the Apps section, neither they are shown like that in your screenshots.
all of the sub processed of Microsoft Edge in the Apps section are the result of how Edge is configured.
Edge has lots of components and each run on their own process.

your 2nd part of the comment belongs to the Feedback hub app since it's related to Windows 10 or Windows in whole.

@HotCakeX 

And yet, there I have background processes in the Apps section

Capture.PNG

If I close and reopen the same web page, I have 1 in 2 times the background processes in Apps and the other time in the Background processes section (with exactly the same processes in the browser task manager)

Those are not background processes. they are main processed grouped under one name and they are in the Apps section.

Background processes reside in the second part of the task manager.

@HotCakeX 

That's what I say, there is a problem with the behavior of the processes

With the same url address

1 time I have this: 

Capture.PNG

another time I have this: 

Capture2.PNG

You will notice that it is exactly the same process in the browser task manager

Browser task manager works differently than Windows task manager.

still in these screenshots, the background processes are in their own section (below) and main Edge processes are in the Apps section (top).

the number of main processes depend of lots of parameters. it's not only about how many tabs you have open.
the NTP itself initiates lots of connections to various sources, even when it is set not to show news.
background sync and other processes also initiate connections and each one needs their own process.

@HotCakeX 

Certainly, but having 2 process behaviors for one and the same web page is not normal
And with the same conditions of use

After what it would be great, is to have the processes grouped in the "background processes" section (as in Apps actually)

Who said that?