Edge on Linux

Iron Contributor

Hello,

I work on IT industry and I often use linux distros.
The main requirements for the browser is a support for various types of operating systems, like MacOS, Linux and Windows, because I need to sync my bookmarks, passwords and history between different platforms to continue my current tasks.
If Edge will not be available under linux, I will not change my current browser.

So, is there any chance to see Edge as native application on Linux?

I know, that at this moment there is no support for office and similar applications created by microsoft, but you could use shortcuts for web version (office online, one note online, etc).

You are doing a grat job and edge for android rocks, but no support for linux is dissapointing.

47 Replies

Use Start.me for your bookmarks.  Problem solved.  But I still want Edge on Linux :)

FYI: Edge is coming to Linux on the Dev channel in Oct 2020

@Ryan Pertusio  "FYI: Edge is coming to Linux on the Dev channel in Oct 2020"

Edge will initially be available for Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, and OpenSUSE (directly supported) and other distros (indirectly supported) that use the deb or rpm package managers.  It does not appear that Edge will be available initially for Arch-based distros (e.g. Manjaro) and independents (e.g. Solus) using other package managers.  It also does not appear that Edge will be initially available in Snap or Flatpak formats, although I suspect that will come in time.

But even with the limitations noted, Microsoft's announcement is good news for those of us who use Linux.

I don't guess it will be too long before it makes it into the AUR.

@cacarr-pdxweb

"I don't guess it will be too long before it makes it into the AUR."

I hope that Microsoft expands the scope of its focus beyond Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, and OpenSUSE, but I don't have any confidence that Microsoft will do so quickly.

Considering Microsoft's initial Edge-availability list (Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, and OpenSUSE) and Microsoft's WSL2-supported distros (Debian, Kali, Ubuntu, SUSE), it looks like Microsoft is working with Canonical, RedHat, SUSE Software Solutions and others to focus on the Enterprise customer segment of the Linux market.

I understand that focus from Microsoft's business perspective, but I hope that Microsoft will at least expand support to other package managers.  As a bare minimum, I would like Microsoft to support both Snap and Flatpack, which will work with many distros. I guess we wait and see.

I agree Edge on Linux would be beneficial and most impressive. Add me as a +1 for Edge on Linux

@InYourHeadEdge on Linux is now available through the Insider page https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/ should be cause of celebration for everyone here.

@sebisheldin "Edge on Linux is now available through the Insider page ... should be cause of celebration for everyone here."

I agree, with a caveat/caution: Microsoft is directly supporting only Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, and OpenSUSE, and indirectly supporting other distros (e.g. Kali) that use .deb and .rpm package managers**. Arch and Arch-based distros (e.g. Manjaro) and independents (e.g. Solus) aren't yet supported for installation.

**UPDATE 10/22/2020:  I've been seeing a number of reports from Linux users who tried to install Edge on .deb distros not directly supported by Microsoft and experiencing inconsistent results after the browser has been installed.  From what I can tell from the reports, the issue seems to involve different/broken dependencies in the distros not directly supported.  As anyone who has developed/adapted packages for particular distros knows, sorting out dependencies can be tricky, and in the case of Edge (with no code or dependency lists posted to Github as far as I know) near impossible.  The bottom line is that if you install on one of the directly supported distros (Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, and OpenSUSE) you should be fine; if you install on any of the indirectly supported distros, you are on your own.

I've decided to hold off evaluating Edge on Linux until Microsoft is farther along in the process of development (providing Snap or Flatpack instances, for example, so I can use Edge in a real-world, real-work environment on Solus). I don't expect that to happen until after Edge on Linux is released to the public in a few months.