SOLVED

Edge not receiving notifications when closed

MVP

This has been going on for months, it actually never worked and despite many posts from other users, it wasn't put on the feedback list to be fixed. I tried sending several feedbacks through browser as well in the last months.

I hope someone manually give this a higher priority.

here is the Chrome article about this:

https://developers.google.com/web/ilt/pwa/introduction-to-push-notifications

"Push messaging lets developers engage users by providing timely and customized content outside the context of the web page. It is one of the most critical APIs to come to the web, giving users the ability to engage with web experiences even when the browser is closed, without the need for a native app install."

Currently Edge canary is Version 81.0.406.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

all the related flags (native notifications etc etc) are all tested and they have no effects.

29 Replies
Is it working for you in Windows 10 may 2020 update? How exactly are they working
?

@hussain5416 I checked it out in the Canary version. It works for me. I allowed twitter access to notifications. then I turned on the flag about which I wrote above. When the browser is closed, notifications work.

For those who don't like the fact that the new Edge doesn't work in the background, this addition may come in handy.

Don't forget to let background apps work in your browser settings.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/trayenabler/pmngpbahkehcgeppngnbnfbmmdclkddj

@William Devereux  For twitter, I have installed it via the Microsoft store and it uses Microsoft edge as a browser so i try to turn on push notifications from the settings but it says that my browser does not support push notifications. (I have the newest version of Microsoft edge: "Version 84.0.522.58 (Official build) (64-bit)", and a up to date twitter app: "6.1.4.1000". What do I to fix this?

@Rohbro_ It only works in the Canary and dev. in a stable version so far this is not. 

@nikitat1260 

@nikitat1260 wrote:

•Background Push Notifications
Receive push messages in the background when the browser is not running. Requires Windows 10 May 2020 Update or later. I found this in the Canary version of 85.0549.0 and above. can anyone say works this and no?

Thanks, I tried it on Outlook website and I received Email notification when Edge was completely closed and no PWA was open either.

• Windows 10 Pro 20H2 19042.450
  • Microsoft Edge Version 86.0.605.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

I am having the same problem in Edge Dev (91.0.825.0) AND Edge 'retail' (91.0.825.0). In both versions I've made sure notifications are enabled, the sites I want notifications from are set to allow, and in Windows system settings that edge and edge dev have notifications. I've logged out of both and removed my account, and for edge dev i've removed and reinstalled. No dice. I have these exact same settings set in Google Chrome (89.0.4389.90) and those DO work, though Chrome doesnt have a statup boost option (startup boost is enabled is both versions of Edge). This has NEVER worked for me in Dev. Are there any updates?
Hi,
which version/build of Windows 10 are you on?

@Eratork Hello. I now have windows 10 21337 all works without problems. Notifications are coming. also all works in windows 10 21h1 and 20h2

Windows 10 21H1 is the version I have.