Edge Needs to Not Repeat MS History

Copper Contributor

Edge has typically been something sub-par, under developed, and forced on people. When I look at the new Edge browser I don't see that. Microsoft has a real chance to make something good and relevant, but they need to remember their mistakes and I suggest the following: 

1.) Give users the option: I like everything I see so far, but you need to make the browser cross platform, customize-able, and have all the extensions / capability chrome has in order to be competitive.

2.) Don't lock users in: Under no circumstance should there be a MS only, "you can only use Edge if...", or "We require a MS acount to....". It is your prerogative to make this so, but it will also be your death nail....don't. I see MS coming dangerously close to requiring people to have an MS account to have windows, silo-ing store apps with OS versions (windows S), and now possibly with browser syncing. stop it, it helps nothing and makes people resist a good thing. 

3.) Dev Tools: Incorporate dev tools like VSCode and PSCore 6 shortcuts. Windows is not bullet proof and is constantly one game developer / open source tool shy of people going somewhere else. 

I like the direction Windows has taken lately, but I always remain cautiously optimistic. Keep up the good work guys.  

3 Replies
About #2, it's basically what every company is doing.
Google is forcing Google sign in, Apple is forcing Apple ID sign in. so you can't blame Microsoft for requiring Microsoft sign in.

Also Edge IS already multi platform. it's released for Mac, IOS, Android, Windows and they have plans to release it for Linux too.

@HotCakeX "Google is forcing Google sign in, Apple is forcing Apple ID sign in. so you can't blame Microsoft for requiring Microsoft sign in."

Microsoft seems to be headed in the direction of locking Windows into the Microsoft ecosystem, just as (and for the same reason that) ChromeOS and iOS/MacOS are currently locked down to force users into the Google and Apple ecosystems. 

Edge, cross-platform or not, is but a cog in the machine, serving primarily as a gateway to the Microsoft ecosystem, just as Chrome does for the Google ecosystem.  As Microsoft moves in the direction of DaaS, Edge will become increasingly critical as both gateway and delivery mechanism.

I can see the advantages of an environment where a consumer turns on his/her/their desktop/laptop or other device and is instantly (more or less) connected to a cloud-based interface/ecosystem that is consistent across all the user's devices at minimal cost (say $25-50 per device per year), but I personally think that both OS lock-down and DaaS will be a net loss for many users.

Okay so I think this would sound better:
Microsoft should be still the only company that keeps Edge user data, but they can create a container or web application for authenticating users to access their container on Microsoft servers using 3rd party credentials. you know what I mean?