SOLVED

Edge need Limit Media Autoplay (ALL)

Deleted
Not applicable

Please add option to Limit ALL media from auto play.
What is the point when you say "Most popular websites will remain unaffected"?

That is the whole point of stopping media playing when visiting popular sites.

This half baked way of browser implementation is why most people stay with other browsers

in my case Firefox.

15 Replies

It might be better to have a new option Stop Media Autoplay.

You say half baked browser as if it's a problem.
it's an alpha software and it's supposed to be half baked.
that firefox you mentioned had 20 years for development, the new Edge had only a couple of months and it's already in the top 10.

I did not mean "half baked" in terms of early development but that they are only doing things in half measure. I usually go to 4 news site and all of them are popular so if the new Edge browser would stop none of these from auto playing media, why would I use this browser. Why stopping auto play media on some random non popular site be of any benefit to most people or cause me to change main browsers.

in the latest canary version, do the autoplayed videos have sounds or they start off muted?

I am not sure about the "Canary" version as I am testing the Dev version. In the Dev version the page takes a few moments to fully load then it plays the media with sound.

I tried a CNN article that had video on it with both new Edge and Chrome and they all auto played the video. YouTube also autoplays the videos.
you can use extensions as a workaround, you can use ublock which is the best adblocker and has more filters than any other adblockers. it stops CNN videos from autoplaying for me and instead puts a play button on it (i can still click on that play button and play the video if i want to).
HTML5 videos is another story tho, but there are extensions for that as well. search for extensions using keywords like "block HTML5 video" , "disable autoplay extension".

i hope they integrate this feature into the final version of the Edge browser but since i can't wait for that day i use extensions. luckily chrome/opera/microsoft web store extensions all work in the new Edge.

right now i'm using ublock from Microsoft store, using couple of other extensions from chrome web store, using a rare extension that's only available on opera extension store too but i had to load and install it as an unpacked extension, downloaded the zip file and extracted it into a folder.

Thanks for the workaround.
In the previous Edge in Advanced settings, you can Block Media Autoplay.
But is does have the warning "Some sites might not work as expected".
It works okay on most sites including CNN.

best response
Solution
You're welcome, yeah they still have to ship a lot of features from the previous Edge to the new one

Thanks for the update that you are actively looking at this request.

@Deleted 

I also request they change how to re-enable autoplay on sites you'd like autoplay.

For example, Imgur is blocked by default. But how can we re-enable that?

@ikjadoon Your request requires the browser to keep a list of websites to auto play and others to not auto play. It is similar to how ad blockers work in creating a white list of sites not to block. They also should let you edit this white list so you can remove or add sites to the white list. Great Idea!

@Deleted Yes, agreed!

I think they already have the database for site permission, for what it's worth. Adding it here would be good (maybe not under tracking protection, haha, but somewhere in this menu!):

2019-08-06_15-19-19.png

Or here:

2019-08-06_15-18-06.png

I hope they implement it as it's quite "one size fits all" right now. It should be granular, per-site--like all our other permissions already are.

@ikjadoon Perfect. If you have not already then please add your great idea as a new feedback request.

In Canary 78.0.249.0 the Limit Media Autoplay flag has disappeared for me. I hope that this is an indication that it will move to a standard feature as in Edge Legacy. I am also hopeful that the feature will be implemented as Block Media Autoplay instead. The Limit Media Autoplay flag did not seem to stop much in the way of autoplaying video.

And while I am hoping, I am hopeful that whatever the final solution is it will provide a way to stop the Netflix background preview autoplay and any others like it.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution
You're welcome, yeah they still have to ship a lot of features from the previous Edge to the new one

View solution in original post