Edge-Linux Flatpak Beta - Unofficial

Bronze Contributor

Microsoft Edge Dev is now available for testing in an unofficial* Flatpak beta.  This might be of interest to Community members using Arch-based or independent (e.g. Solus, KaOS, Clear Linux) distros, who are currently unable to test Edge-Linux but would like to do so.

The project is described in this Github repository.  I believe that the intent of the project, now in beta, is to develop a stable Flatpak package for Edge-Linux Stable, if and when that is released.

The project wraps the official deb version** of Edge-Linux using Extra-Data, a standard method of making Flatpak packages available for proprietary applications without distributing or redistributing the underlying application (e.g. Microsoft Teams, Zoom).

I installed the Flatpak beta (at present the beta installs Edge Dev Version 91.0.825.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit))** on my Solus computers this morning.  It seems to be working fine, indistinguishable from the identical Edge Dev build installed on a Ubuntu 20.10 computer I built for the specific purpose of testing Edge-Linux, and without a noticeable performance hit.  

If any of you who are using Arch-based or independent distros want to test Edge-Linux using the unofficial Flatpak beta:

(1) Install Flatpak on your distro if it is not already installed.

(2) Install the Flathub BETA repository via the terminal, using these commands:
flatpak remote-add flathub-beta https://flathub.org/beta-repo/flathub-beta.flatpakrepo
flatpak install flathub-beta org.godotengine.Godot

(3) Install Microsoft Edge via the terminal, using this command:
flatpak install com.microsoft.Edge

=================

* I am not affiliated with or contributing to the project.  Microsoft Teams is deployed in Flathub by an independent project team using Extra-Data, so I am operating on the assumption that Microsoft licenses are not violated by either the Microsoft Teams project or this project.  The project's maintainer has made @MissyQ aware of the project and invited participation from Microsoft employees in the project.  The project's maintainer indicated that the project is neither an official Microsoft project nor authorized by Microsoft at this point.  The project's code contains this standard disclaimer language that will appear when the project moves out of Flathub beta repository into the Flathub stable repository: "NOTE: This wrapper is not verified by, affiliated with, or supported by Microsoft." 

** microsoft-edge-dev_91.0.825.0-1_amd64.deb

10 Replies
that is wonderful and I know Edge for Linux is still unfinished with missing Microsoft sync account. Suppose, edge get a stable version. Will you release the edge stable for flatpak as well?

@dtantono115 "Suppose, edge get a stable version. Will you release the edge stable for flatpak as well?"

I am not affiliated with or contributing to the project, but I understand that Edge-Linux Stable will be packaged when it is released, and put into the Flathub stable repository.

Because flatpak and snap package almost has a similar characteristic. do you also plan for edge for snap as well?

"Because flatpak and snap package almost has a similar characteristic. do you also plan for edge for snap as well?"

Again, I'm not affiliated with or contributing to the project, but this project, as I understand it, is limited to Flatpak.   

Microsoft may release Edge-Linux as a Snap after a Stable version is released.  Microsoft has released official Snaps for several other Microsoft applications, and it would make sense for them to do so with Edge-Linux.

I am greatly pleased with the Flatpak. I am hopeful that Microsoft will officially support Flatpak. There is no need for multiple package formats for Linux any longer. Flatpak works everywhere.

@nycnikato "I am hopeful that Microsoft will officially support Flatpak."

I am, too.  The Edge-Linux Flatpak team has requested Microsoft involvement, but I don't know how that will turn out.

"There is no need for multiple package formats for Linux any longer. Flatpak works everywhere."

I agree.  As you know, there is considerable difference of opinion in the Linux community about Flatpaks and Snaps, but I've come to the point where I prefer to install a Flatpak (rather than a distro-specific package) whenever I am adding software, if a Flatpak exists.  Because Flatpaks are universal, self-contained and containerized to an extent, I've experienced better success with them than distro packages.  It seems to me that Flatpaks (and Snaps, too, although I don't use them) eliminate a lot of wear and tear on distro mods, who otherwise have to try to keep a lot of packages up to date.

Maintainer of the Edge Flatpak package here. Yes, I will release the stable version when it comes out.

Change of plans, I decided to not release the Edge stable Flatpak yet because the Chrome Flatpak isn't on stable. My work is based on the Chrome Flatpak so Edge depends on it.

Edit: There is already an open discussion on GitHub for anybody that wants to follow, I'll be posting updates there: https://github.com/flathub/com.microsoft.Edge/issues/88

If they do a snap as well, then they continue more fragmentation Flatpaks already tun everywhere, including futuristic Linux distributions that only run flatpaks. Hopefully Microsoft will have the wisdom to say.... one format is enough.
Sadly they're not planning to support Flatpak. I only opened an issue a while ago: https://github.com/MicrosoftEdge/Status/issues/704#issuecomment-897805781. I think it's a stupid idea to not support Flatpak but not much can be done I guess.