Edge launching without key features

Bronze Contributor

According to this article, Microsoft is planning to launch edge without Favorites sync and history sync because their, "not important enough". This is exactly what made the last edge fail! Do not release edge without sync available. If necessary, delay release, people won't care, but if it makes a bad first impression, people will spread that around and many won't even try it.

4 Replies

@cjc2112 Also, doesn't google have a perfectly good sync? What reasons are there for not using that since it's already tested and developed.

I think that's not true what they wrote there,
I mean there isn't any reliable source backing it up. favorites sync has been available since the the beginning.
I wouldn't jump into conclusions until at least some official speaks about it.

Google has sync, true, but Microsoft should use Google servers for Edge? like they can't make their own sync servers?
they've got Azure and all of those complex services, so making a sync server for browser should be easy.

I know favorites sync is not reliable enough but do you remember Google chrome (10 years ago?) had a reliable sync when It was during its infancy and not even launched officially? how about in its first year?

@HotCakeX 

You have a point. However it seems likely that they might have mentioned that because of all the syncing problems that are occurring, along with other features that haven't made it so far, and Microsoft's tendency to release products before their finished.

Absolutely! If they don't have a perfect sync at launch then people will not migrate from their current browsers and leave a bad first impression. I myself hesitate in switching insider channels because of this buggy sync. Today's tech world wants a perfect sync of data between their various devices.