SOLVED

Edge keeps signing me out

Brass Contributor

Since a week or two, Microsoft Edge signs me out of my MS account.

The top left account menu shows orange lettering, and when I click it, it reports that it can't sync because it needs to confirm my identity (first screenshot). I can then click Sign In, and don't need to enter my password or anything, just click Continue (2nd screenshot).

But pretty soon (like the next day, or sometimes even later the same day) the same thing happens again.

It never happened before two weeks ago. I'm not aware of any changes to my system or my account that preceded this issue. It's the same account I've used for years, and the password and 2-factor haven't changed in months.

What could be causing this, and how do I fix it?

ETA: Possibly related, because I noticed it at the same time and it seems to occur at the same moments: Microsoft Security and Defender stop responding. Both still show their icons in the systray, but neither opens when clicked. Only way to get around that is to kill all related process or reboot the system. And Security keeps showing the same notifications I've dismissed over and over again.

EdgeSignedOut.pngProceedSigningIn.png

83 Replies
A similar thing is going on with my PC. Edge, Skype and even Microsoft To Do keep signing me out every day. After reading all the replies, I think I am not even going to try to fix it.

In my case, the signing out started when I used my "work" account to sign-in to the office 365 (I use my personal account to log-in to the computer). Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution yet.

Same issue here, since a few weeks. Edge keep signing me out...

Same situation on my end. I did try to set "Require sign-in" to "Never" in Windows Settings - Sign-in option and so far Edge has not logged me out once, after 12+ hours of use. I will report back if this actually fixed the problem for me, in long term.

imolol_0-1715625734883.png

Oh, you set me onto something! This option is actually greyed out on my system (it's blaming Hello for its unavailability). But I noticed that PIN was also unavailable, which is weird, because I've signed in with PIN only yesterday. This reminded me that I have Hello issues on my work system, and my work account is also configured on this computer. Who knows, maybe that's the culprit? I've removed that account, and after reboot, Edge was not signed out. So far, so good.
I have the same issue now for at least 6-8 weeks, daily in Edge, sometimes in Office. Tried a few things mentioned here and elsewhere but without success.
have you tried to set "Require sign-in" to "Never" in Windows Settings - Sign-in option ? Since I set it to "never", my Edge has not logged out once.
best response confirmed by florismkleijne (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@florismkleijne HP Elitebook laptop, Windows 11 (language Norwegian), changed from 365 work account to personal 365 account earlier this year. Login to Windows with personal account. Had this problem with Microsoft Edge signing me out all the time.

Possible solution: Opened Settings, Accounts, Login options, deleted all Hello options (face recognition, finger print and PIN). Recreated these Hello options. I guess there was a connection to my earlier work account in these settings. After restart of laptop there is no problem with Edge signing me out (so far so good day at one). Will report back later this week.

have you tried to set "Require sign-in" to "Never"?

I have not, and I don't feel that's a good idea at all. Wouldn't that basically remove all security from my device access? If I'm not required to sign in, no one is, right?
This is something I have not tried yet. Have now (had to disable 'Require Hello for MS accounts' first). Leaving them off first, see what Edge does; recreating them when I've established that Edge stays signed in without them.

@florismkleijne The answer is NO. That option is greyed out and not available.

My solution is still working. I guess this was related to the use of an earlier work account in my laptop. Looks good at the moment.
This forum doesn't do a very good job of keeping track of replies, does it? I'm not sure what you're responding to, @SagaPer.
Same problem. Edge keeps signing out my personal account on both my work laptop as my personal PC. My work account does not have this problem.
My solution still works on day two. :)
"Possible solution: Opened Settings, Accounts, Login options, deleted all Hello options (face recognition, finger print and PIN). Recreated these Hello options. I guess there was a connection to my earlier work account in these settings. After restart of laptop there is no problem with Edge signing me out (so far so good day at one). Will report back later this week."
I've removed all Hello options a few days ago, and Edge is staying signed in. So far, so good. I'll give it to next weekend, and if it's still fixed then, I'll test what happens when I re-enable Hello.
Same issue here, although it now seems to be happening more often and with other sites including Battlenet, Google & Twitter (Not Acknowledging X) just to name a few.

Also started happening after upgrading to insider Build 26040.rs, not sure if this was when the Bell Endz & M$ thought that when updating to the next insider build users would enjoy their current Edge version being automatically updated to DEV without being consolidated first, which caused a few issues, as it removed all cookies so I had to combe through my PW hints/notes for a few website passwords, as it had logged me out after the Windows Update.

FYI M$, Fix your software bugz 1st b4 you go ahead and assume you know what all your users want & need & proceed to include the $h!t3 anyway countless to whether we want it or not.

i.e. CoPilot or anything related to the cancer which is B!:ng_button:.
My solution still works on day 3. :)
Mine still works as well. Seems you solved it, @SagaPer!
Thanx. My solution still works after day 9. :)