Edge Insider feature request - Pin to Start

Iron Contributor

I see that Pin to Task Bar is available in the More Tools, but I do NOT use the Task Bar at all.  I MUCH prefer the Start Menu, and normall have all our devices set to Tablet Mode w/Full Screen Start.  I want to always be able to pin websites to my Start Menu.

46 Replies
Thanks @Robert Wade, for the suggestion.
You actually can do one better. You navigate to the ... menu then go to Apps. Select the option that says, INSTALL (Whatever page you're saving.) It will then create a shortcut on your desktop to that website favorite and when you click on it, it will open as a stand alone app. It's really nice.

HOWEVER, if you're looking for the standard open Edge browser. Simply use the More Tools>Pin to Desktop feature. Once it's on your Desktop, you can right click to Pin to Start then delete the Desktop shortcut.
Thanks for the workaround. I much prefer the direct pin-to-Start, though. It's annoying to pin something to the Desktop. That means I have to get OUT of Tablet Mode(which all my cookies are configured for) just to get to the Desktop in order to follow your suggestion. I never use the Deskop, I run all programs in Full Screen or Snapped.
LOL, "cookies" should be "computers".

@Robert Wade 

Oh, no wonder, Robert, that I couldn't make sense of that :beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes:;)

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Still waiting to see Pin To Start added to Edge.  I switched to the Canary builds, hoping it would show up there first.

@Robert Wade 

Anxious for that, too.  Surprised wasn't there @ the onset.  Would make a heaps more sense than, Pin to desktop that is there, now.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Robert Wade  definitely, there are many touch screen devices. i used these 2in1s for about 5 years.   asus, acer, dell, lenovo, hp. surface and all oems,  tablet mode is very important!  and  for tablet mode, pin to start is a must.

for about 5 years,  i never used The desktop UI , every thing are in the start menu (start screen) 

@Tom_bae 

Tom, there are a few different approaches.  Example: I hardly ever, super-rarely > Start (haven't since way back in early 7 days); but, that's not using a tablet, either..  But, what is, also, missing from Edge C, right now, that is, also, an absolute must-have is Pin to taskbar!  

Someone said pin to desktop and then, Pin to start from there... That's about as silly as having Pin to desktop, at all, in the 1st place.  Put things that make sense, that people want & need such as, Pin to start & Pin to task bar.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Same here.
I use for my father’s pc the full screen start menu and have pined all his programs and Websites that he normally uses.

He loves that all is accessable from one place with the push of the windows key.

But with the new Egde it is way too much complicated for him to pin a new website to start.

Please consider to not remove this feature from Edge.

@Drachenboot 

As has been said, the silly Pin to desktop has to go.  What MUST exist is Pin to Start & Pin to taskbar, period & soon!

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drachenboot wrote:

I use for my father’s pc the full screen start menu and have pined all his programs and Websites that he normally uses.

I wonder why not pin frequently used websites to Edge New / Home Tab tiles or Favorites Bar rather then mix up installed programs with web page links in Start Menu? As the list of installed programs and apps grows, it can get unmanageable and hard to navigate fast.

Why not open a few frequently used websites at once as a session? Combine it with The Great Suspender extension to render only focused tab at the session launch. One can also choose in Edge Settings to open last used tabs as a session at browser launch.

But if a website shortcut is a live tile, it might make sense to add it to live tiles area of Start Menu.

Hi All.  I just want to make sure that I understand the ask clearly.  What you are asking for is a way to pin specific web sites to the Start menu, so that when you click on them, Microsoft Edge will launch to that page?  Or, are you asking for the ability to pin the browser to the Start menu?  For the second, we do have a work around, because it is a program, it shows up in the All Programs list, you can right click there and Pin To Start.  This isn't the same as the Pin to Desktop option in the more menu, but it is a work around to get you unblocked.  You can also drag and drop the program from the All Programs list to the taskbar, if that is your preferred launching pad.

Thanks, Elliot

@Elliot Kirk wrote:

What you are asking for is a way to pin specific web sites to the Start menu?

My suggestion is: instead of multiple Add To options, offer one option "Create shortcut to site" with choices: 1. on Taskbar , 2. on Desktop, 3. on New Tab, 4. in Start Menu

I prefer only shortcuts on New/Home Tab, but for (optional) live tiles - Start Menu is also a good place. Since most website devs don't master live tile art, it might be an interesting task to automate a basic live tile generation from the webpage when warranted by dynamically changing content. But it sounds like a very distant priority. :)

To pile on, in addition to not using the desktop, I don't even have the icons visible. The start menu is a much more organized way to manage shortcuts than the desktop.

@sambul95 

You see it as an experienced IT user.
My father uses 3-5 programs and the rest are websites and even that are few. For this the big start menu is excellent as a dashboard with which he can achieve anything he wants.

@Elliot Kirk 

Yes, i mean Pin a specific URL as tile that will launch Edge with that URL.

This function is currently in the old Edge (see screenshot)

But what i like from the new "pin to Desktop" is the new dialog to change the Pin description.

It would be great if we also got this dialogue for "pin to start".

The old Edge always took the name automatically from HTML tag <title>, which is not always ideal.

@Drachenboot wrote:

You see it as an experienced IT user.
My father uses 3-5 programs and the rest are websites and even that are few. For this the big start menu is excellent as a dashboard with which he can achieve anything he wants.

I respect your point of view, but you might shown your father the wrong habit. There is no advantage in browser launch speed, when opening a website from Start Menu compare to New Tab / Home page tile. But there's a big advantage in work flow, i.e. PC use culture, when proper methods are used to accomplish proper tasks. Try empowering your farther with this way to think, and suddenly he'll start using and installing other software more often. You'll overcome this way natural hesitance of some older folks in using tech. :)

No, how about you respect the voice of the CUSTOMER? I am a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt. I understand processes. I also understand that the VOC drives processes. The more efficient flow for Me is to have everything I use frequently on the START Menu. That's where I want web sites pinned, too. I'm not budging on this.

@Robert Wade wrote:
No, how about you respect the voice of the CUSTOMER?

Hi Robert_Wade,

I'm an Edge user just like you. And in fact suggested exactly what you ask, and more.  The difference is, I don't demand anything since its unethical, counterproductive, and pure choice. What I found Edge team is quite responsive to reasonable suggestions, not only in replies, but more important in factual changes to the browser time permitting. But... they don't have to.

Meanwhile, I don't ask you to change or review your habits. Its your choice. But imagine that other folks have their own views and habits too, and share them on the board. You prefer Tablet view, but I find it counterproductive while using a PC. Stay cool. :)