Edge group policies for New Tab

Copper Contributor

We are changing Edge Chromium to be the default browser, but we don't want users to be bothered by the First Run wizard, as this will make some call the hotline.

We can turn First Run off via a policy, but this defaults to Sync = Off, and New Tab set to "Microsoft News" and "Inspirational" layout.

In our organization we need:

- Edge Sync turned ON for everyone

- New Tab set to "Office 365" and "Informational"

I have not found any way to control these settings. Is this not possible at all?

2 Replies
I don't think it's possible to force sync to be turned on, I only see a policy to force it to turn off (disable)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies

I also could not find any policies, but hoped somebody know of a hidden feature or trick.

I have not found out where Sync preferences are saved, though it may be connected with the sqlite3 database file "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Sync Data\SyncData.sqlite3".

The layout settings are stored in the Preferences file in "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Preferences", more specifically in the "ntp" section (below sets it to Office 365 Informational - I tested it works changing it manually with Edge closed, so *ought* be able to edit it in a loginscript):

"ntp":{"feed_type":1
"layout_mode":2
"news_feed_display":"always"
"num_personal_suggestions":7
"show_greeting":true
"show_image_of_day":true
"show_settings":false
"show_top_sites":true}

But I have had no luck with Sync - and it being the most important to us, still hope somebody knows a way - or that MS will add a policy for it.