Edge GA Release Date

Silver Contributor

Apparently, we are not waiting until 2003 (Update) :happyface:

GA.jpg

This is from MS, btw, not an outside source.

Cheers,
Drew

19 Replies
2003 is/was the probable Windows 10 build number for Edge insider to be intergrated into the OS, the release date of course was always different

@Drew1903 "Apparently, we are not waiting until 2003 (Update)"

Since it looks like 20H1 is going to RTM in December and since (as I understand it) 20H1 has not yet embedded Edge Chromium into the release, my guess is that Microsoft will embed Edge Chromium into Windows 10 as part of a monthly update sometime during 2020 or wait until 20H2.  Microsoft hasn't said anything about it yet, though, as far as I know, so your guess is as good as mine.

Version 79.0.309.nn is the release candidate for January 15, and when that has been released, then Microsoft will probably follow the Chromium development/release cycle, updating every six weeks or so going forward.  Microsoft has said that Edge Chromium updates will not be tied to the Windows 10 update cycle.

@tomscharbach 

Tom, some suggested & thought, including myself, that the GA for Edge C would, maybe, come with the Spring 2020 Update for Win10 (2003).  Seemed that might allow enough time to have the thing done; feels like there, still, is much to be done.  But, MS say it is expecting to release it mid-January.  So, that would, indeed, suggest Edge stuff is not tied to the 'every 6 months' major Updates of Win10.

Right now, Insider Builds have the same opportunity to run Edge (beta) Channels.  Once (new) Edge is embedded in the OS, it will be in the Insider Builds, too.  That's my 'guess', anyway.

It can be awkward trying to guess at things outside of Insider Builds by looking at what Insider Builds are doing; can be way out of sync with each other... especially when Fast Track & Skip Ahead split.

But, I'm sticking to the notion that once it's GA, we'll see it in the Insider Builds, too. Then it's, actually, truly, part of the OS.

Cheers,
Drew

I hope not..I'm on insider and I still enjoy Edge classic. the new Edge would just be useless for me since I use Canary and it has more features than stable build.

@Drew1903  I don't know how accurate this information is, but Neowin reported yesterday ("Microsoft's Edge Chromium browser to ship in Windows 10 as soon as it's generally available", Rich Woods, Nov 5, 2019 17:46 EST) that:

"The next question is that of when the browser will actually ship with Windows 10, with many speculating that it might ship in 20H1 - which would be the first feature update after January 15 - or even 20H2, since 20H1 might RTM in December. As it turns out, neither of those theories are accurate, as the browser will start to be bundled with the OS right after the GA date.

"It's going to be a slow rollout though. We're not all going to wake up one day and find Legacy Edge replaced by the new Edge. That's how staged rollouts work though. There will be a small sample group that will get it first, and then that group will be expanded. As for new installations of Windows, the bits will be sent out to OEMs as soon as they're generally available."

@tomscharbach

Tom, I don't find any of that surprising or weird.  Once thought it would be with 2003 (1) because I didn't reckon it could/would be ready & done before that and (2) because, it seemed logical, intuitive having it all come at the same time or motion.

And, it does follow, when Edge C goes GA, it would flip in the OS at that time.  It's not tied to a major 6 month OS Update so, if Edge goes GA mid-Jan, in the OS would not need to be far behind, at all.  Nor would it be unexpected for it not to be pushed out globally simultaneously.

IMO, it's silly mentioning 20H2.  Edge C will be d'rigueur way, way before that... actually, it will be before 20H1. But, it's not bound to a Major 6 month Update, anyway, thus making that angle moot.

After so many release dates for a plethora of things... when we get it, we'll have it :lol: Que sera, sera.

Cheers,
Drew

Looks like it's their guess and they are not quoting any officials
The more they delay the integration the better. people expect a full featured browser. on the release date it won't be shipped with History or extension sync, nor will it have a proper inking for pdf and webpages. both of which are already available in Edge classic. If Microsoft integrates Edge 79, they will take away so many features from the users and it won't be good at all.

@HotCakeX  "Looks like it's their guess and they are not quoting any officials."

I think that your caution is on target, and I appreciate the comment.

I agree with exercising caution when quoting the trade press, and that's why I opened with the caveat "I don't know how accurate this information is ..."  Caution is doubly important, in this case, because the article does not attribute the information to Microsoft employees or Microsoft-published information.

As an aside, it seems to me that too many people fail to exercise necessary caution about "scoops" ( which might or might not be accurate) reported in the trade press.

As one example out of many, Windows Central recently published an article ("Microsoft's Windows 10 20H1 release will be first to RTM in December under Azure schedule", Zac Bowden, 28 October 2019).

The article does not identify the source of the information, so it might or might not be accurate.

Over the course of the last week, the "RTM in December" meme has been the subject of numerous articles in the trade press (OnMFST, TechRadar, Winbuzzer, WindowsLatest, and so on) all citing the Windows Central article but without any caveat about the accuracy/inaccuracy of the information. I've even seen the Windows Central article republished verbatim on a Windows 10 Insider forum without any qualification about the possible accuracy/inaccuracy of the information.

Speculation repeated often enough has a habit of morphing into "fact". In this case, as in the case of the "December RTM" reported by Windows Central, a healthy dose of caution is in order. I think that the best can be said is that both articles are consistent with other information Microsoft has released in the past**.

======================

**In the case of the "December RTM" article, past Microsoft announcements that the Windows 10 development/release schedules would be brought into line with Azure development/release schedules at some unspecified point in the future, and in the case of the article in question, past Microsoft announcements that Edge development/deployment cycles would follow Chromium/Chrome development cycles rather than Windows 10 development/upgrade cycles.

@Drew1903 "Tom, I don't find any of that surprising or weird."

I don't either, Drew.  Although not confirmed by Microsoft, the Neowin speculation is consistent with past Microsoft statements about the development/deployment cycles for Edge Chromium.

I think people take articles from Windows central for granted because they hold regular podcasts about Windows insider builds and I think they are also somehow connected to the Microsoft company, at least it feels like it

@HotCakeX "I think people take articles from Windows central for granted because they hold regular podcasts about Windows insider builds ..."

I think, and I think most people agree, that Windows Central is usually well-informed.  That doesn't change the fact that speculation is speculation, and attribution to sources is attribution to sources.  I take most of what I read in the trade press about Microsoft with a healthy skepticism, unless the information is tied to sources from/within the company.

"... and I think they are also somehow connected to the Microsoft company, at least it feels like it."

I don't think that Windows Central is connected to Microsoft** (other than to have developed sources within the company, as most reputable outlets in the trade press have done), but if Windows Central is connected to Microsoft in any way beyond that, then Windows Central should disclose that fact in articles about Microsoft and Microsoft products published by Windows Central.  Reputable media disclose relationships with the companies that they report upon.

======================

**I did a quick look at relevant public records, and I cannot find any information suggesting that Windows Central is affiliated with Microsoft.  Windows Central is a media outlet of Mobile Nations, a division of Future Group, which owns numerous media outlets.  I don't see any connection at all to Microsoft.  I believe Windows Central is reputable, independent outlet of the trade media reporting on Microsoft and its products.

@tomscharbach 

Yes, Tom & the January 15th expected release date is from MS not, some outside source.  

Cheers,
Drew

@tomscharbach 

Tom, the (expected) Jan, 15th date is from MS not some outside source.

Cheers,
Drew

@tomscharbach 

"The article does not identify the source of the information, so it might or might not be accurate."

It does, in the first paragraph.

@Bruce Roberts 

But, it is good to question everything one reads or is told; in case something is, actually, false.

Cheers,
Drew

@Bruce Roberts "It does, in the first paragraph."

The first paragraph, which announces the January 15 release date, is clearly attributed.  Microsoft has confirmed that in other statements, as well.

The next two paragraphs, which were the subject of my comment and discuss how the the browser will be rolled out post-release, are not as clearly attributed, if attributed at all:

"The next question is that of when the browser will actually ship with Windows 10, with many speculating that it might ship in 20H1 - which would be the first feature update after January 15 - or even 20H2, since 20H1 might RTM in December. As it turns out, neither of those theories are accurate, as the browser will start to be bundled with the OS right after the GA date.

"It's going to be a slow rollout though. We're not all going to wake up one day and find Legacy Edge replaced by the new Edge. That's how staged rollouts work though. There will be a small sample group that will get it first, and then that group will be expanded. As for new installations of Windows, the bits will be sent out to OEMs as soon as they're generally available."

I read the second and third paragraph as informed speculation.  I still do, in part because Microsoft has not confirmed the rollout process as far as I know, and other trade media have not picked up this thread in their reporting. 

The trade press is widely reporting the January 15 release date, but I haven't seen other articles talking about the post-release rollout process.  That's odd, if Microsoft laid it out at Ignite 2019.  I would think that it would be big news, if Microsoft announced it at Ignite 2019, and other media don't seem to have picked that up.

However, I can see that the alternative reading (that the Ignite 2019 attribution applies to everything in the article) is also reasonable.  I can't dispute that your interpretation is reasonable, and I don't. 

Yeah that they posted officially
It's confirmed tho that Edge will be released without Extension sync, History sync and ARM64 support.