edge://flags/#edge-windows-credentials-for-http-auth gone

Iron Contributor

Hi,

how to Enable edge://flags/#edge-windows-credentials-for-http-auth type of behavior as that flag seems to be gone in 84.0.495.2 (or some other relative recent build)?

Earlier discussion of why it is needed and used here and here.

33 Replies

@Jussi Palo Thanks for reaching out. As I'm sure you know, the flags are all experimental, and can unfortunately come and go while they are in testing. However, I hear that there's a need for this functionality, so I've looped the team in. I'll let you know if they have any insights to share!

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Jussi Palo Great news: after reviewing your feedback, the team realized how important it was for some of our users, and has decided to re-enable this flag! They've created a work item for this, so you should see the flag back in the preview channels in the near future.

Hope that helps, and please let us know if you have any other feedback.

Fawkes (they/them)

That's great news, thank you so much.

@Jussi Palo Sure thing, we're happy to help whenever we can!

Fawkes (they/them)

@Jussi Palo The engineering team just let me know that this change is now in Canary and will be working its way up the channels will subsequent updates. :)

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted 

Hi Fawkes 

This is great news. What would be even better is that if this setting could be managed through a GPO. Do you think this would be possible as it would simplify the roll out of the setting a lot.

Best regards Fredrik

@Fredrik_Freden I know our team has looked into creating a GPO, but there are currently some confounding factors. I'll let them know that there is interest in it, though, and let you know if there is a change of plans!

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted 

Thank you. I really hope you have a solution for this. I am pretty sure I am not the only one in the enterprise market that uses old third party systems that we have no control over.

The most important thing is that the flag is there and that it is possible to fix it even if I have to configure every computer manually but the GPO would really make life easier.

Best regards Fredrik

@Fredrik_Freden Thanks for the details, Fredrik. Knowing more about individual and org use cases provides a more complete picture of everyone's needs.

Fawkes (they/them)

The flag is no longer working.

@Keith Davis 

The Beta 88.0.705.45 has the flag but the Canary 89.0.767.0 has not. Is this what you found out as well?

I see that all Fawkes entries are changed to anonymous. I guess he doesn't work for Microsoft anymore.

@josh_bodner 

Removing this flag destroys my companys setup and I will be forced to disable updates all together if you can't bring back the flag. 

We are many who need this flag and a better way to handle it (GPO). This creates a lot of headache and it has been like this for over a year now. Is it really not possible to fix this?

Yes, can confirm it is now gone at least in v. 89.0.760.0. @josh_bodner

@Jussi Palo @Fredrik_Freden Thanks for updating this post that the flag is no longer available! I wanted to let you know that I'm looking into this, but today's a holiday so I likely won't hear back until tomorrow. Thanks for your patience and I'll update here when I know more!

@Jussi Palo @Keith Davis @Fredrik_Freden Thanks for your patience as I looked into this!

The flag disappearing in version 89 is by design, end users will have no UX to control this behavior. The current setup uses Windows Credentials for now, however the team is working on a policy allowing admins to disable the experience and use the basic prompt instead of Windows credential UI. The GPO is expected in Microsoft Edge 90. You can check out the release schedule for the Beta and Stable channels here.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and I'll keep an eye on this thread. =)

-Alex

@Alexandra-R 

Hi Alex

Thank you for sharing this information with us. As you describe it this sounds awesome, just have to skip V. 89 but I will gladly do that If V.90 brings a solution.

I have one question, I can't find any information about this on the roadmap.

Microsoft 365 Roadmap | Microsoft 365

Any idea why?

Best regards Fredrik

@Alexandra-R 

Thanks for the update. However, I'm still confused about why this is even changing. Why would Microsoft not want users to be able to use password managers, like LastPass, for their login? How is using Windows Credentials supposed to even replace this?

@Keith Davis 

As far as I understand this is the behavior when using Windows Integreated Authentication. You can use Windows Integrated Authentication to apply single sign on based on your domain credentials and in this case you will not need a password manager.

The problem in my company is that some of our partners have built sites with Windows Integrated Authenticatio. We are not part of their domain and Windows Integrated Authentication will not work because of this. This is when the "bad" credential popup arrives and destroys my day.

So if we get a GPO to adjust this behavior everybody will be happy.