SOLVED

Edge favorites menu

Deleted
Not applicable

Hey can you guys add the Drop down favorites and hisitory book and downloads reading list menu from the old edge to add it to this one please

125 Replies
It's on the developers' to-do list.

Hello

With a folder in favorites (with favorites button), does MS will add the favorites appears above and not beside (exactly like the "old Edge", in fact) ?

Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean but the way Microsoft Edge insider favorites work is exactly like Google Chrome. Edge insider only has an additional favorites button at the top which shows the bookmarks and folder in a vertical style, like when you click on the small arrow at the top-right of the bookmark bar to see full bookmarks list.
I got lost in trying to find the responses to my posts, so I guess I'll try to say it again as best I can.
I manage new employee onboarding for a global energy company with North American HQ in Houston. Part of that process includes assigning a laptop with his/her team or project bookmarks already loaded. That means we have to have multiple custom bookmark files to distribute companywide. The previous IE-11 system of using a separate folder in the My Documents folder was how we handle it. But if the NEW Edge is only handling Favorites in the Chrome manner within an internal database, then I fear many hundreds of thousands of employees sitting in many corporations will be frustrated. Having to handle bookmarks ONLY within the browser inhibits the way big companies need to move data. We are simply asking for a folder within the My Documents folder that we can collect, change, manage, and move bookmarks like IE-11 used to. Many of our employees have told us if that is not available then they will continue to use IE-11. We don't want that for security reasons, but we are pushing this to you because that's what employs and managers want. The Chrome system works fine for home users with a small number of bookmarks, but not when you need pre collected bookmarks unique to the various work groups, teams and projects. Thanks for the consideration.

@HotCakeX 

With Canary : 

Canary.PNG

With IE/Edge :

IE.PNG

I understand that Edge Chromium is based on Chromium, but nothing prevents to improve it (and not just have a browser that looks like 99% to Google Chrome)

Every change is not necessarily an improvement though
Tistou, you are correct.
The screenshots you are showing are from the browser interface. I'm talking about the way Favorites were managed in the My Documents folder. You had total control over large batches at a time, and could move them from computer to computer just like regular files. An internal database within the browser prohibits that. There shouldn't be a requirement to open your browser and dig for your bookmarks if all you need to do is transfer batches of Favorites like files.
Right but that technology belongs to 10+ years ago. all major browsers Firefox, Edge, Chrome decided to handle it using databases and of course the cloud sync. we have to learn to adapt.
you can still move your bookmarks by export/importing them into other browsers.
the format is HTML and recognizable in most of the modern browsers. your bookmark icons will be transferred along the way too.
Limiting yourself does not make your life easier or better. If that's 'old technology' then let's just completely do away with the folder structure in computers altogether. Or for that matter, eliminate browsers as well and make the OS and browser the same like Chrome (Book) is moving toward. Is that the future you want? Corporations wont have it. You have tens of thousands of employees of various skill levels that have a role to play. Importing/exporting adds a couple of steps, and you cannot adjust the properties of specific batches of bookmarks within a folder while maintain properties of the others. It's called usability. Those of you who push adapting to the Google Chrome way of the world are not responsible for the masses of users that we are. YOU can adapt to your values, but many of us are responsible for people getting their jobs done. Your push to adapt to Google values mean nothing to us.
But they're 2 different things..
all the browser developing companies decides to take a different approach for managing favorites. this is not only aimed at Microsoft.
speaking about the users, Google Chrome has the Biggest user base in both home and office, probably corporates too.
the only reason corporates use Internet explorer is because "they have to". why they have to you might ask. the reason is the lazy website developers can't or don't know how to develop a modern website not to rely on ActiveX.
if the majority had problem with something as small as managing bookmarks i guess we wouldn't have be seeing so much market share for Google Chrome.
And honestly, i don't see how cloud sync which also works with work and school accounts, is problematic for you.
would you mind explaining what problems you exactly have with cloud sync in general?
Thanks

Microsoft had a great browser designed by Microsoft, Internet Explorer, which was User friendly.
After there was Edge, a little less User friendly.

And now Edge Chromium, which is 99% a copy of Google Chrome, with a real regression compared to the browser that Microsoft had accustomed us.
If MS wants to keep, see recover Google Chrome users, then need a better browser (for the options/features) than Chrome
Otherwise do not make new browser, and, or update IE (engine), or keep Google Chrome

I agree that Internet explorer was a great browser, by just like everything else, Internet explorer had its glory times and it's long gone now.
it was probably the best browser people could ever get their hands on back then (many years ago) but it's not the case anymore.

the market share alone says everything about how much people in the World like Internet explorer.

I wouldn't compare a stable browser like Google chrome that developers spent years working on with a super new browser in Alpha state like Microsoft Edge insider that's only been out for few months.

give it some time, it's still to early to judge it, i'm sure in a year it's gonna be better than Google chrome. specially once Microsoft ships the old Edge features to the new one.

@HotCakeX 

I totally agree with you, but I have the impression that as soon as we ask for an improvement / addition of option (or other), we have as an answer that it is not native to Chromium and that it is not possible

PS: My English is bad, sorry if you do not always understand me

Chrome is NOT the most use among global corporations, but it IS the most used among home and small business. The needs are completely different. And it's not problematic for me, personally. But it is when you have to address the needs of so many people, so many different departments, and projects, and need to ensure that they can do their job. When your career has lifted you to the point where you are responsible for 46,000 employees and how they use their computers you might understand. But it's clear you are totally un aware of the size of the problem.
Let's hope that it won't happen. if that be the case then things like set tabs aside, pdf inking and lots of other unique features won't be added.
it's alright no problem
Oh i'm totally aware of that, but maybe you're not aware how scalable cloud platforms can be.
all of the needs of corporations can be addressed via cloud sync. it's bigger than what you think. and Edge settings can be controlled via group policy.
Maybe, not the case, but, I am going to suggest the following. Certainly, I do know of the Favorites folder in My Docs. Possibly, that will, actually, tie to our Edge C Favorites once and when Edge C is, indeed and in fact, an integrated part of the OS; as Edge is, now.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Phone

@tistou 

"I understand that Edge Chromium is based on Chromium, but nothing prevents to improve it (and not just have a browser that looks like 99% to Google Chrome)"

Especially, being Chromium-based, it should be easy to be able to have its own individual identity! I, too, like so many others do not want a Google-Chrome clone with a Microsoft logo on the door.  That would not be exciting or enticing and would completely miss the point.  AS I have said before, go nuts under the covers & down in the 'boiler room', but, don't mess with or omit stuff we (already) have, use & like "AS IS"!  And if & when heaps of us including Enterprise customers, are saying things, the same things, well... take heed!  <-- is what Folks keep hoping, that their voice is not & won't be for naught.  They DO need to have all they are mentioning, repeatedly.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@techViewsorg 

Your point is so super-valid and true!  Big Biz IS (mostly) Windows, Office & more MS services & products, installed & or Cloud.  But, something said has exceptions.  Many are not fans of Google-Chrome, at all and are not part of any effort to push adopting to it.  Not being keen to adapt to it is very understandable... for anyone, but, certainly for large Enterprise & Corp. scenarios & environments.

And, not meaning to minimize anything, but, I do remind, Edge C is far from 'GA'.  We must keep making ourselves heard in the meantime and maybe, hopefully... And I still wonder about the Favorites folder after Edge C is an integral part of the OS...

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Windows insider 20H1 build 18980
i can confirm there no such folder exists there.
Internet explorer is hidden and not usable, most of its executables are omitted.
that's very unlikely for MSFT to let go the modern database and return to the folder based favorites. if they were planning that they would apply it in the next upcoming Windows build