SOLVED

Edge favorites menu

Deleted
Not applicable

Hey can you guys add the Drop down favorites and hisitory book and downloads reading list menu from the old edge to add it to this one please

125 Replies

@JamesSantaBarbara 

Yes you're right, my mistake.  Favorites display from HTML Edge is what I'm advocating.  Fully agree that HTML Edge Favorites management was abyssmal.  Favorites management in chromium Edge seems ok and an improvement.  Still needs the ability to select multiple favorites when moving or deleting, especially because the import system stupidly shoves all your imported favorites into its own folder instead of respecting the layout you had on the source browser.  Also needs to respect dark mode. 

This would have been ok in HTML Edge if MS didn't needlessly hide the location of favorites.  There was a decent favorites management app that I used that wasn't half bad, but I forget the name of it at the moment. 

Thanks.

Windows File Explorer is the model [when FE is repaired to function as File Explorer should] with full respect for tree and folder layout, and the ability to select and copy, move, paste and/or drag and drop just like File Explorer.

I think we agree much more than we disagree?
Keeping the Favorites management in the style of IE-11 through the File Manager is the way to go. Trying to manage hundreds of business-related Favorites with a back-end database will cause a huge number of users to stay away. That is the main reason sooo many people are hanging on to IE-11, not for the browser itself but for the favorites management system.

@JamesSantaBarbara   Yeah definitely agree.  HTML Edge would have had decent bookmarks management if MS just didn't hide the location of the favorites in file explorer, I really don't know why they make stupid decisions like this.  I'm assuming favorites are still hidden in chromium Edge, I haven't been able to find them at least.  

@Elliot Kirk 

It would be fantastic if Favorites can be accessed just like in Edge (orginal). That ensures a clean design, no clutter. I do not use a Favorites bar and I don't like the Menu tree in Chrome either.

@Deleted 

Although I have been mistakenly referring to "settings" menu as the primary access pint for Favorites, etc., I correct this as the primary access point should be the "hamburger?" menu, or ellipse [ . . . ].

Is the "ellipse,' [ . . . ] actually called a hamburger menu? I thought a hamburger was 'stacked?' Or is the ellipse called a hamburger  menu now the standard?

The 'Other Favorites" folder on menu should be retitled to "Favorites" so as to reduce the confusion as to what is accessed. "Manage Favorites" should be at the top of that drop-down menu  and the "Favorites Bar" should be included for easy access points.

Add an option to show the Star on the toolbar for the Favorites menu.

@ppoppppe This is similar to the Edge Insider Builds where you have to click on the menu then it opens in a new tab.

Hi maybe this is the wrong place for it, but how do I remove all my favorite bookmarks in edge dev all at once

Hi all:

My English is bad. Sorry.

I've been using the new chromium edge for a couple of weeks now. It is still in its infancy but it has a very interesting future.

I have read all the comments about the favorites and I agree with many of them.

Good management of favorites is fundamental. Neither chrome, nor firefox do it well (they make it horrible). I still use IE11 as much as I can for this reason. Neither the current Edge improved the management of IE11 favorites.

For this reason, I consider it fundamental, in order to differentiate itself from Chrome and Firefox, that the new chromium edge itself allows a good management of favorites as did its two predecessors (Edge and IE11).

My support to return a management like that of IE11 (or similar) to the new edge chromium.

Thank you

P.D: I found the extension "Neater Bookmarks". I do not like it but it is the closest thing I have found to what I need.

-------------------------------------------

(En español)

Hola a todos:

Mi ingles es malo. Lo siento.

Llevo un par de semanas utilizando el nuevo edge chromium. Todavia esta en pañales pero tiene un futuro muy interesante.

He leido todo los comentarios acerca de los favoritos y estoy de acuerdo con muchos de ellos.

Para mi es fundamental una buena gestion de los favoritos. Ni chrome, ni firefox lo hacen bien (lo hacen horrible). Sigo utilizando el IE11 todo lo que puedo por este motivo. Ni el Edge actual mejoro la gestion de favoritos del IE11.

Por ello, considero fundamental, para diferenciarse de Chrome y firefox, que el propio nuevo edge chromium facilite una buena gestion de favoritos como lo hacia sus dos antecesores (Edge e IE11).

Mi apoyo para que vuelva una gestion como la de IE11 (o similar) al nuevo edge chromium.

Gracias

P.D: He encontrado la extension "Neater Bookmarks". No me gusta pero es lo mas parecido que he encontrado a lo que necesito.

The ability to select multiple favorites to perform Drag&Drop on would be nice.

Hello

Me too I am very interested to have the button favorites (and the menu) as is the case on IE and the "old Edge"

Thanks

@Deleted Yes we need that. Choosing between "Always / Never / New tab" is certainly not an adequate option. I'd suggest to plop a drop-down button next to the plug-ins icons, in the right top side.

yes, make favorites droplist like in classic Edge \ IE11

I also agree with this. I've enjoyed the chromium version a lot, but I miss the favorite button from the old Edge that you could just press and then everything was there, now you have to search with the hamburger bar or have a bar at the top that steals screen estate like back in 2000.

This is my one hangup with all browsers except Firefox, and a reason I stay with Firefox. I have the ability to put the Bookmark toolbar items alongside the URL bar. I have one folder called bookmarks that is an easy drop-down. It saves precious vertical space as I do not have to have the bookmark bar.

Annotation 2019-06-07 155314.jpg

There are Chrome extensions that mimic this somewhat, but they look and run terribly. Get the ability to do something like this and you'll have 1 permanent Edge user.

@Deleted totally agree!

@Elliot Kirk The current Edge handling of Favorites is far better than Chrome's and Edge Dev or Canary (I use both for testing).

I also want "Favorites Bar" to be just one entry ("folder") under Favorites, not to subsume all Favorites. That's ridiculous and frustrating! I mean this is a Borg menu -- "Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated -- into the Favorites Bar". I mean, C'mon! :D

.The Chrome variety of browsers keep the bookmarks in a database buried in the OS. It is impossible to actually manage the bookmarks outside of the browser as in IE- 11 browser  versions and before. Simply having a way to access the bookmarks to make changes directly from the file explorer would be a huge benefit to us business managers keeping tabs on hundreds of bookmarks for our company. Using a drag & drop management from a sidebar is just not efficient to users with a sizeable number of bookmarks. 

And speaking about placement of the sidebar. I speak English and most Western language speakers read & write left to right. The natural eyeflow is left to right. Placing the side panel with favorites on the right side interrupts the way Western readers think. I suppose it's ok of those who read right to left, but all studies show efficiency and cognitive retention go with the movement of the eyes. New teachers and instructors learn that first semester.

That said, if a switch could be placed in the Settings menu to flip the side panel from one side to toe other, that would greatly help efficiency for the individual user and how his cognitive brain works.

@Elliot Kirk Yes please, I want to go to one of my other favorites without having to open a new tab (just like it was possible in "old" Edge). 

Does the Microsoft taf read this topic ?
Since the time this "feature" is requested :)