Edge extension suspicious connection

New Contributor

Hello, I use Bitdefender and keep getting the following text notification when i open edge..

"

Suspicious connection blocked
6 minutes ago
Feature: Online Threat Prevention
msedge.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an expired certificate to extensionwebstorebase.edgesv.net. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since websites must renew their certificates with a certification authority to stay current, and outdated security certificates represent a risk.Add to exceptions

I contacted Bitdefender and no fix could be suggested.

Any of you guys know what may be causing this, it is a bitdefender notification but only comes up as soon as I open Microsoft Edge.

Here is a screenshot of it.

Capture.PNG

Thanks.

1 Reply

This issue has been widely reported in the last week or two.

According to responses in other discussions concerning the issue:

(1) The extensionwebstorebase.edgesv.net domain is obsolete, which is why Microsoft allowed the certificate to expire.
(2) Edge, for whatever reason, still calls to the domain with respect to some extensions.
(3) The Edge Team is pushing an Edge update to eliminate the issue, without an ETA known at this time. 

Unless you are willing to work through your extensions one by one attempting to find the culprit(s), I suspect your choices at this point are to (a) whitelist the extensionwebstorebase.edgesv.net domain in Bitdefender or (b) put up with the error message until the necessary changes have been made in Edge.