Edge Dev - strange Video playing issue

Brass Contributor

I get the new builds as soon as they're released and I'm currently using 77.0.230.2 on Windows 10. Starting with this build when it came out a few days ago:

Videos on Reddit and other sites including Facebook Stories don't play unless I'm constantly scrolling up/down (two finger scroll on touchpad of SurfaceBook 1). If I stop, the video stops. The audio will still work sometimes, but the video doesn't. However, sometimes it works a little bit. For instance, when playing a FB Story, let's say it has 4 clips. After the first clip, about 15% of the left side of the video will freeze. After the 2nd clip, another 10% (now 25% total) will freeze, and so on, until the video ends. This happens a little bit on Reddit. It either displays this way or doesn't display at all and plays audio only.

I've attached a still of the most recent video with the URL here: https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/cm3avm/fun_field_trip/

20 Replies

Can confirm, the same problem on twitter. version 77.0.230.2

Not sure if similar issue or if the site changed some things, but when I view a news post on WrestleZone.com with an embedded Twitter post that contains a video, it will not play at all. You press play and nothing. Ankit - can you confirm this, also?

@ArkansasBen77 

Same problem for me !! Its really annoying,

Add to the above: Animated GIF's on Facebook.

Scrolling, they work. Non-scrolling, no work.

Same problem here but in a slightly different fashion. The video keeps stuttering and breaking up and mouse movements make absolutely no difference. Video in the link

https://vimeo.com/351985244

Update: similar problem with video on twitter  as well, and I suspect that would be the case with most videos

https://vimeo.com/351989151

I have big problems with Netflix. Virtually no video works (77.0.230.2).
Experiencing the same. It's the first roadblock since moving from Chrome to Edge Dev, but it's a showstopper and I'm back on the Google train.

Hopefully this is reviewed and addressed soon.
Go to edge://flags

find this flag: #enable-surfaces-for-videos

Set it to disabled and restart the browser.

Credit for this goes to a user in another thread (can't find the post right now).

@Deleted that did the trick. Back in business. Thank you!

@Deleted Thank you! This fix the issue, but do you know why this causes the problem? I'm just curious.

Of course it'll be reviewed and addressed soon. It's still in alpha/beta stage (depending on who you ask), so there's a lot of work left to do.

I don't know about others, but I'd highly suspect each user does use Edge Dev as their primary browser. They use it to test things and just check it out. I...on the other hand, do use it as my primary browser and only going to Firefox or Chrome when something doesn't work here, which is becoming less and less.

Point being, just don't expect Edge to be as stable and have nowhere near as many features as other browsers that have been in development for many years.
I did a search for "SurfaceLayers videos" and found a little bit on how browsers render layers, but not much about video rendering. But basically it's a rendering error and will be fixed soon. Just something small that was overlooked, I'm sure.

Hey Admins - can I get a tshirt for pointing out bugs? haha

@Deleted Thank you, i was ready to abandon twitter because of this so glad to have seen this post

Unfortunately it doesn't work on my pc

@Deleted Good tip fixed the problem for me also

Doesn't fix my issue. Embedded Twitter posts with video don't work nor do they actually works on Twitters site.

Additionally, just like before, videos on Reddit are kind of flaky (https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/). When I view them on that page, the left 15% doesn't update as much and when you move your mouse over the left 1/4 and top 1/4, it stops updating altogether. These are embedded YouTube videos. HOWEVER, when I click on the link for that particular thread to come up, the video plays perfectly. Playing videos on YouTube.com work fine for me.

@ArkansasBen77 This is a strange when reading through this discussion I opened the link on your original post and had the same issues that you described. After disabling the flag and reopening the link it seemed to work correctly. When I opened the link in your newest post I was experiencing the same issues as you. Did you disable the flag and go back to the link in your first post to see if there was any change?  

@SCook1280 - I disabled the flag as soon as I saw it above several days ago and it's still disabled.

The video link in my original post works fine now. I try to https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/ and the videos on that front page have problems on the left side and upper part of the videos. But when I click the headline and the thread pops up, the video plays fine. 

Maybe I need to uninstall all versions and install the newest from scratch? Who knows.

@ArkansasBen77 Yea same, I'll have to watch this discussion to see if one of the team shines a light on this problem. I also think that you should get a shirt for this one.