SOLVED

Edge Dev Favorites - reappear after delete + cannot custom order

Copper Contributor

Hi, I've searched for similar issues and couldn't find anyone else with the same problems.

1) Cannot custom sort favorites. For instance, inside my favorite bar, have a folder name Folder A -> which contains fav1, fav2 and fav3. If I try and reorder them to fav3, fav1 and fav2, as soon as I closed and reopen edge it revert back to how it was before. 

2) I have a fav4, fav5 and fav6 in the favorite bar. If I try and delete them, as soon as I close and reopen edge, it restores them again. 

I believe this might have something to do with syncing. I've tried to disable and re-enable but the problem persists. Couldn't find information where it store the data to delete and restore myself. 

Using win10 v1903 (build 18362.418) and edge 80.0.320.5 dev 64bit
Help anyone? 
Thank you for reading this!!

4 Replies
best response confirmed by andrelimaph (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi,
I've been having the same problem, have seen lots of other posts about it as well.

the only solution right now is to disconnect your other devices connected to the same Microsoft account and syncing to that same account.
so like if you have 2 Edge insider browsers on 2 different devices (computers, tablets etc) or even 2 browsers on the same computer, sign out from one of them. this also applies to phones and computers, preferably sign out from your phone.

this is very important and existential issue with sync servers, they are not reliable enough, the browser is still in experimental channels and we will see how they will sort these problems out before January 15th which is the release date.

there is also another problem that I don't see in your post.
if you try to set a favorite to icon only, it will revert back to the original form soon. this problem can't even be solved by turning off sync on other devices, i think only solution is to turn off sync completely everywhere.

try to use another stable browser such as Google chrome stable to keep your bookmarks/favorites safe there and only import them to Edge insider once everything works as they should.
I've already signed out on my laptop and will be using local backups from now on. Thanks!
Yw, that's the best decision :)

@andrelimaph I have the same problem. If I am syncing it is impossible to delete favorites. If you delete anything it re-appears the next time you open the browser. On both my Desktop Computer and my Surface Pro I have turned on syncing and thendeleted avery thing on both over and over. Every Favorite I ever had always gets restored. I cannot delete any favorites.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by andrelimaph (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi,
I've been having the same problem, have seen lots of other posts about it as well.

the only solution right now is to disconnect your other devices connected to the same Microsoft account and syncing to that same account.
so like if you have 2 Edge insider browsers on 2 different devices (computers, tablets etc) or even 2 browsers on the same computer, sign out from one of them. this also applies to phones and computers, preferably sign out from your phone.

this is very important and existential issue with sync servers, they are not reliable enough, the browser is still in experimental channels and we will see how they will sort these problems out before January 15th which is the release date.

there is also another problem that I don't see in your post.
if you try to set a favorite to icon only, it will revert back to the original form soon. this problem can't even be solved by turning off sync on other devices, i think only solution is to turn off sync completely everywhere.

try to use another stable browser such as Google chrome stable to keep your bookmarks/favorites safe there and only import them to Edge insider once everything works as they should.

View solution in original post