SOLVED

Edge dev favorites folder location

Microsoft
Since the Edge chrome is GA now, i thought it would use the same favorites in my edge dev but it turned out it was using the favorites the edge that comes with Windows 10.
I have been using edge dev for a while and i want now to move to the Edge Chrome GA version and use the fovorites from my dev edge. It was however imported into the new GA edge but thinga got messed up... I want to know the favorites location so that i can manage the favorites myself... Can you advise where to find that?
10 Replies
best response confirmed by Waddah (Microsoft)
Solution
Hi,
here is the location where all of your favorites are saved in:
"C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Bookmarks"

these 2 files:
Bookmarks
And
Bookmarks.bak (back up file for Bookmarks)
are the files you're looking for.

@HotCakeX Every one tries to locate EDGE Favorites on the local drive has failed; it is nowhere to be found, and I dare anyone to locate it TODAY (most of you are looking like an early version of Edge/Windows - Let us talk CURRENT state please, say with Build 20170, can anyone and I mean anyone, tell me where and how to manage it? 

I have just given my 2-Cents worth to the MS-Edge Team so they can learn from the IE team on how the End-User is looking for in managing their Favorites, and not the non-sense stone-age manager they incorporated in the browser; I say wake-Up and smell the roses for heaven sake, we are in the 21st century and people are talking about going to Marse, and yet we can't figure out a good way to manage our Favorites... Give a break.

@abe_ibrahimmsncom 

Spoiler

@abe_ibrahimmsncom wrote:

@HotCakeX Every one tries to locate EDGE Favorites on the local drive has failed; it is nowhere to be found, and I dare anyone to locate it TODAY (most of you are looking like an early version of Edge/Windows - Let us talk CURRENT state please, say with Build 20170, can anyone and I mean anyone, tell me where and how to manage it? 

I have just given my 2-Cents worth to the MS-Edge Team so they can learn from the IE team on how the End-User is looking for in managing their Favorites, and not the non-sense stone-age manager they incorporated in the browser; I say wake-Up and smell the roses for heaven sake, we are in the 21st century and people are talking about going to Marse, and yet we can't figure out a good way to manage our Favorites... Give a break.

Internet explorer is an old browser, Edge doesn't need to learn anything from it. favorites and other user data are best managed on the cloud, just like Google chrome, Firefox and Safari. Edge is doing nothing wrong.

you gotta adapt and use the new techniques.

also i can tell you where the favorites/bookmarks are stored right now on the latest stable version of Windows 10 and Edge.

on the latest Windows 10 stable release (May 2020 update) and on Edge Version 84.0.522.40 (Official build) (64-bit)

they are stored at this location:

it's not recommended to modify that file manually.

I have gone to "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Bookmarks" and there isn't a folder "Bookmarks". I want to backup my Favorites separately. Is there a way to do this?
It's not a folder, it's a File.
5 pages of comments on how to organize favorites with no answer.
YES, they could learn from IE. Edge Favs are half-baked by a poo-tard amateur UI designer who must have been a friend of Bil lG's family because it SUCKS you can't do nothin' except sort. If you want to move shortcuts into a specific folder, it is ONE-AT-A-Time. How is that productive?
Click the circle box, in the Manage Favs, and its instantly deleted.

Work-around, export your FAVS Firefox and use their favorites organizer - Delete your Faves in Edge, and import them back in. But the best solution is to just use Firefox or any other browser if your favorites mean anything to you. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being browser that lets you have your way with FAVS, Edge is a Zero. 5 Pages, NO ANSWERS read em and weep. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-favorites-around-in-edge/
The only thing you can do with that file is delete it and start over. Once you have a few hundred faves, delete the database and start over. Of course, you probably have to factory default your windows on the MS "Expert" recommendations in these forums once every few months anyhow and that will work too.

@HotCakeX 

I tried to share a full-screen capture (image) to show that I am in the correct location to access the bookmarks file, (C:\Users\USERNAME (here it would read "the7t")\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Bookmarks) but it (the file) does not appear there, (and the image didn't/won't upload... so not even this website is working as it should) and I have my PC set to show all hidden files folders, and drives. 

I've been able to copy the bookmarks and the backup bookmarks files from "CCleaner" browser (which is also Chromium based) to "Opera" and wanted to do the same with "Edge Dev", but I can't because the file location is not the same. 

@RickkeeC 

Spoiler

@RickkeeC wrote:
The only thing you can do with that file is delete it and start over. Once you have a few hundred faves, delete the database and start over. Of course, you probably have to factory default your windows on the MS "Expert" recommendations in these forums once every few months anyhow and that will work too.

Of course not, totally unnecessary.

@Mr_Jones 

Spoiler

@Mr_Jones wrote:

@HotCakeX 

I tried to share a full-screen capture (image) to show that I am in the correct location to access the bookmarks file, (C:\Users\USERNAME (here it would read "the7t")\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Bookmarks) but it (the file) does not appear there, (and the image didn't/won't upload... so not even this website is working as it should) and I have my PC set to show all hidden files folders, and drives. 

I've been able to copy the bookmarks and the backup bookmarks files from "CCleaner" browser (which is also Chromium based) to "Opera" and wanted to do the same with "Edge Dev", but I can't because the file location is not the same. 

Just go to Favorites > Select (...) button > Export favorites

You can then import it in any other browser

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Waddah (Microsoft)
Solution
Hi,
here is the location where all of your favorites are saved in:

these 2 files: