Edge dev crash on start up after update

Iron Contributor

I am using Edge dev for several months now and this is the first time it happened.

When I started Edge this morning, the windows opens,  but after 2 to 5 secondes edge crashes (the edge window closes). I don't have any warning or error message. I also could see that the new update was apply because one of the tab being loaded was the "welcome back" page after an update is done. Also in the lower left coner I can read something like "processing" before the crash.

I download the lastest update with a different browser and apply it but it didn't fix the crash. 

I start Edge without extension with msedge.exe --disable-extensions and no more crash.

But this is the weird part: when I restart edge the normal way, it didn't crash anymore even though I had  all my extension opened. 

I am on windows 10  1903

Edge : Version 80.0.320.3 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

27 Replies

@07_19 

This is exactly same what I saw this morning. After a several crash and trying to launch, it worked without any error.

Edit: I'm using AdGuard, it works well. 

same here, and then stop working again after a couple of times. must be an extension. Which one I will need to test by deactivating all and activating one by one .

Update:

Looks like it is AdBlock.

I was offered to repair it and since then it works. Cross fingers.

Same here, crashes are intermittent
check in edge:crashes and see if the crash reports are uploaded

@07_19 

I had the same issue and went back to beta channel. Good to know that it is related to AdBlock.

My experience must be different from other people who claim it to be an Adblock issue. I uninstalled Adblock and still had the issue. Turns out, I could open any other page in Edge Dev but I could not have it start up with Google as my startup screen. Doing so causes the crash for me. As soon as I changed it to the new tab option it started working again.

I think each of us are experiencing different cause of the crash. for me this forum website and IMDB website would crash the browser..

For me it crashes when opening MSN weather from New Tab page.

@fred1995 

Hi Fred & others,

I have tried everything y'all have mentioned that causes crashing & it won't or doesn't crash.  Just works like a charm everywhere I go & everything I try.  The crashing is not affecting everyone.  However, the Team think they know what is causing it (for some Users) and it will likely be rectified, anon.

Cheers,
Drew

Hey Drew,

I've sent crash report from edge://crashes. Hope the team would find the cause soon!

(Also the condition I met applied to both my work and home computer with the same Microsoft account, and I don't think it is a coincidence.)

@fred1995 

Good, Fred.  Anyone with it should report it. Even, knowing others have done so.  Either via :smile: or via Edge Insider Support. EIS will reply, even converse with a person, regarding the issue submitted.  The issue is known. The developers think they know the cause or the origin of it.  There is an effort afoot to rectify it asap.

Just a wee thought (of mine) that it may be particularly challenging as it is not impacting all Users.  Anyway, just a thought.  But, trust, it will be fixed.

Cheers,
Drew

@Drew1903 Done via :smile:, and feedback Hub.

Lets wait for a fix. In the meantime Chrome is reactivated :\

Ooh, there is another fred :D
it's definitely not a coincidence..
Hi,
please submit your bug reports and feedbacks either using the Smiley button at the top of the browser or this link:
https://microsoftedgesupport.microsoft.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

The dev team don't really look at Feedbacks hub app to get feedback for the Edge insider browser, they mentioned this before :)

@07_19 

Crashes for me when clicking links in emails from Outlook 2019 

Version 80.0.320.4 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

@Fred911 

Right on.  I, also, reported it to a couple of places.  I'm quite certain it will be added.  In the meantime Edge does it so, you can use that.

Cheers,
Drew

Btw Google Chrome stable is an option too
I switched to Chrome and then the Software Reporter Tool started up and nearly set fire to my laptop ... what's up with the CPU usage of that thing? Maybe I'll go back to old Edge.
It should be temporary I think.
are you using Win 10? if so which version?
thanks