Edge Dev Branch update?

Steel Contributor

So the Canary branch has been getting the daily updates as expected but it's been a week since the launch of the Edge previews and we haven't yet got an update for the Dev Branch. Is it possible the community hasn't yet been informed of what day is intended to be 'update day'. I don't want to sound like a nag but I don't want the Dev branch becoming the edge version of the Windows Slow Ring. 

21 Replies
I thought I had read some where that they were goiing to up and update up every Friday, but I could be wrong........

Dennis5mile

@Cameron_Bush  It would be good to know the schedule.  I have three devices to keep up to date.

My understanding is the the Dev Channel will update weekly, but not necessarily get updated to the most recent Canary update.  The Dev instructions say:  "Our dev builds are the best representation of our improvements in the past week. They have been tested by the Microsoft Edge team, and are generally more stable than Canary."  I'm not quite sure what that means, but it sounds like Dev updates are distinct from Canary updates.  My guess is that it might be a day or two.

Does anyone have a sense of how the update will occur?  Will the current Dev build auto-update to the new Dev build?  Or will we be uninstalling the old and installing the new?  How does it work in the Canary channel?

I'm sure the Dev branch auto updates but don't know exactly how often, but you definitely don't need to download Edge Dev setup every time a new update releases, it downloads it automatically. I think they are very careful about updates that's why they are taking their time. but since i couldn't wait i switched to canary and it's as stable as Dev branch.

Is there a way to find out what changes have been made in the updates?

@lwetzel  "Is there a way to find out what changes have been made in the updates?"  Not yet, to my knowledge.   Many have requested that changelogs and other normal test-team information be distributed with each updated version, the MS reps on the board have acknowledged that MS knows that there is a need for this information to facilitate testing. 

@lwetzel  "Is there a way to find out what changes have been made in the updates?"  Not yet, to my knowledge.   Quite a number of us have requested that changelogs and other normal test-team information be distributed with each updated version, and the MS reps on the board have acknowledged that MS knows that there is a need for this information to facilitate testing. 

@tomscharbach -- Yeah, I am one of those who asked for changelogs. I find the system frustrating as it stands. For example, last week I complained about Edge's behaviour when handling Facebook pages. It only loads a few posts at a time and I constantly have to click on More Posts. That behaviour is absent from Brave, Chrome and Vivaldi... and the soon to be deceased Edge. There have been at least four Canary updates since I reported the problem and it's still not working properly.

I am not complaining that it has not been fixed. yet I am frustrated because MS leaves us in the dark. What am I supposed to do? Check if the bug is still present day after day, and report it day after day? Or do I trust that MS will eventually fix it? What if MS programmers believe they have solved things but it's still not working for me. How am I supposed to know if they are finished working on displaying Facebook pages, meanwhile they wouldn't know that it's still broken at my end.

I am using this example because earlier this evening, it looked like the pages were loading properly and I didn't have to click on More Posts every 5 seconds. But that lasted for only 2 or 3 minutes. Now it's still showing the same bad behaviour.

What am I supposed to do? It's certainly not among the pinned posts and we have no changelogs. I am glad to be able to test Edge and help the development team. I just wish there'd be a better system of reporting and checking whether things have been fixed or not.

I'm also waiting for it.It's been 13 days.
Same here I also asked for changelog....Its too frustating.

@NicolSD  "I am frustrated because MS leaves us in the dark."   I am too, along with lots of others.  I'm used to testing in an open source environment where the test group has access to a development list, a known issues list, changelogs, and "test this, test that" direction as features/functions are added.  MS is much more closed down in W10 Insider testing, and probably across the board.  All I can say is that Elliot Kirk, who is a software engineer on the Edge team and who monitors this forum, has acknowledged the problem and told us that it will change.  If we keep the Edge team's feet to the fire on this, it will probably happen.

@tomscharbach -- I hope I did my bit to help keep the Edge team's feet to the fire with my comment. So far, I have received two replies to my frustration comment but no answer as to what I am supposed to do, ie. what am I do regarding bugs that may or may not have been fixed. I take it that my frustration about that is shared.
We can't do anything regarding this unless they provide us some proper changelog/issue list etc etc

@NicolSD  Your frustration is shared by a lot of folks, based on the number of comments about the issue. 

As to what to do about a reported bug/issue, I don't know.  I read your question as being addressed to the Edge team, and obviously I can't answer for them.   

I plan to log the bugs/issues I report through the Feedback node and check on progress as I get updated Dev builds each week, taking reported bugs/issues off the list as they are fixed.  The development process is going to take months, and I'm most concerned about getting accurate information about reported bugs/issues so that I know something I've reported is on the list.  If and when we get a "known issues" list, then I won't have to do my own logging, and I'd like that ...

@Cameron_Bush @NicolSD @tomscharbach: Hi All, I hear and understand the frustration.  We decided to take this first Dev channel update slowly to make sure that all of our systems were running properly. We pushed our first Dev channel update (version 75.0.131.0) live yesterday, and by now everyone should have received a notification that the update is pending.  You will also notice that it was released without any release notes.  We have heard the frustration around the lack of changelog information.  We had originally intended to do change updates with the Beta and Stable channels only.  We then received overwhelming feedback from our community that they expect changelogs at the Dev and Canary channel level as well.  We are trying to rearrange our feature schedule around to bring the systems online that we need to produce the changelogs on a daily and weekly basis.  In the meantime, we are trying to get a manual process together to release something for at least the Dev channel.  We failed on this first update, and are going to try harder in the future.

Sorry if this is something that was already answered or if this is something that hasn't been worked out yet but will the changes be posted at this site or will there be a separate site or email.@Elliot Kirk 

Hi SCook1280, we are still working that out. TBH, I don't think that this site has the right layout to make the sequential release of changelogs successful. I am only guessing, but I would expect that they would show up on the Microsoft Edge Insider website or somewhere similar to that.

@Elliot Kirk -- Thanks Elliot but you failed to address my main question: What do I do after every release? Not check if a bug I reported has been fixed and not report it if it's still there? What if at some point the programmers believe they have fixed the problem but it's ongoing for me? or a bunch of other users. There must be communication from both sides or else you're going to end up with the same kind of problems we've been witnessing with Win 10. When the March 2018 version came out, it was totally unusable on all three of my computers. It kept reloading my desktop every few seconds. I reported that two weeks before the official release. And yet, they went ahead and released a version with a very nasty bug that totally rendered Windows useless for the users. I would have thought MS would have learned its lesson on the importance of communication with beta testers after the flops like the deleted user files. But what do I know? You guys are the ones with the billions of dollars while I live on less than $100,000 a year in total family income. 

Don't get me wrong, but there is nothing to get personal, But seriously Microsoft is one of the tech giants, these basic things like you addressed and I've done and still doing with many many other testers should have been fixed before launching the product....We are supposed to test the browser, but what we are doing is asking for the basic things like changelog [wtf*]...MS should take this seriously, we are complaining about it for a a long time, still there are no improvements....only statements, statements and statements. I'm done with this, and it's microsoft's fault.