Edge desktop icon

Copper Contributor

I have just installed the newly released enterprise version of Edge and am trying to block the auto creation of the desktop icon. Is this at all possible? I have tried with the master_preference file with out any success. 

6 Replies

@glahana ,

Thanks for reaching out to us! We are aware of this issue and are working to get it fixed as appropriate. The right owners will reach out whenever they have more info on this.

Raj

@Raj_GS Outstanding Raj!! Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea how long we will have to wait for this fix?

@glahana 

Unfortunately, I don't have the timeline for this. I have pinged the right folks regarding your question. Hopefully someone will respond to you pretty soon (or the fix might become available too!)

@glahana 

There is a way... Edge uses some of the same config as chrome.  So you can edit the master_preferences file located in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application.

Add: "do_not_create_desktop_shortcut":true  to the distribution portion of the json, below is my edit from our installation.  Now this won't prevent the shortcut during installation since the install appears to use the file for installation in the msi. 

Since there is installation info in the file, I scripted editing the existing file rather that having a true "master preference" file just copied to the dir like chrome uses which only handles config not installation methods.

Whats even worse about this behavior... If you don't do the above... If you just delete the shortcut in the public profile... Edge will create shortcuts in each user profile at launch/update.

{"distribution":{"do_not_create_desktop_shortcut":true,"msi":true,"system_level":true,"verbose_logging":true,"msi_product_id":"2D0AE8FB-D52E-3D51-845F-FF1A7FFBB09E","allow_downgrade":false}}

Really hope this gets picked up soon. I've been trying to write a powershell script achieve this, but the only thing I'm having an issue doing is removing the desktop icon. I've gone as far as trying:

$users = Get-ChildItem -Path "c:\users"

foreach($user in $users) {
    if([System.IO.File]::Exists("C:\Users\$($user.name)\Desktop\Microsoft Edge.lnk")) {
        #Remove-Item -Path "C:\Users\$($user.name)\Desktop\Microsoft Edge.lnk"
        Write-Output "Removed Edge Link for $($user.name)"
    } 
}

This works great, however, we're operating on Shared PC mode.  

@azeigler