Edge crashes with right click on selected text

Copper Contributor

Hello, anyone else who has the problem with Edge 87.0.664.57 (Stable/Beta)?

If we select a text on a page and do a right click on that Edge crashes.

6 Replies
Hello,
Which operation system (Windows, Mac, Linux) are you using?
I'm trying on Windows 10 version 20H2, Edge stable Version 87.0.664.57 (Official build) (64-bit)
it doesn't crash for me when I highlight a text on a page and right-click on it, I can do web search and other things with it.

if you haven't already, please submit a feedback from your Edge feedback button (shortcuts: Alt + Shift + i) so Edge team can get the diagnostics and report data.

@HotCakeX

We are using Win10 1809 in an Enterprise environment with a lot of GPOs.

I found out (because of the context menu) that the "DefaultSearchProviderEnabled" is responsible for the crash. In our environment this is set to 0. As soon as I set it to 1 Edge context menu works fine again.

It was working in the last version 87.0.664.52 we had.

Feedback is disabled by GPO but if I enable it and want to start it Edge crashes too!

@HotCakeX 

found out that Dev build 88.0.705.15 and Canary 89.0.726.0 have the same behaviour

Support for businesses:

https://support.serviceshub.microsoft.com/supportforbusiness

also support, individuals and insiders:

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/support

it's good you found out what was causing it.

I'm not 100% sure but maybe this is happening because of the recent undocumented changes in stable builds.

@HotCakeX 

for everyone who has the same problem: it can be fixed with the GPO

Allow default search provider context menu search access

to be set to 0:

"If you set this policy to disabled the search context menu item that relies on your default search provider and sidebar search will not be available."

This is a hint to the undocumented change too.

Hello @thokl, is this a flag in Edge? Because I couldn't find it in the app settings, and it also seems to have been removed in the current version (113.0.1774.35). Can you please provide an updated solution to the problem if possible?