Edge continues to be the only major browser with no end-to-end sync encryption

Brass Contributor

Every other browser, including Chrome, does end-to-end encryption.

Before, there was no mention of Sync privacy under any privacy pages. The Edge Privacy Whitepaper now describes how Edge secures Sync data:

All synced data is encrypted in transit over HTTPS when transferred between the browser and Microsoft servers. The synced data is also stored in an encrypted state in Microsoft servers. Sensitive data types such as addresses and passwords are further encrypted on the device before being synced. If you are using a work or school account, all data types are further encrypted before being synced using Microsoft Information Protection. All other synced data types are stored until you delete the data, the account is deleted, or the account becomes inactive. An account ID is attached to all synced data, as the ID is necessary to perform sync across multiple devices.

In other words, Microsoft employees can still see your browser history and any other sensitive information with the only exception of securely stored passwords.

Intentions aside, this is really just not a good look.

98 Replies

just like me, when you and other discuss and i don't want to follow i go up and in the first post settings in clic on unsubscribe and poof no more spam from this post (and if you will have email only on @mention)

but i will follow the exemple of HotCakeX, and just stop trying it seems the owner of this post don't want to understand than closed source software can send data in you back without being caught

@Wittycat Look, I agree with you that Microsoft is far more trustworthy than Google.

Even then, Google makes different assurances about their privacy for different products. GMail was (and probably is still) indexed, while your credit card information isn't, for example.

But that's not the point. I never said it was, and I'm not cheerleading for anyone.

The point is that, by using E2E encryption, Brave, Firefox, Chrome all demonstrate a certain level of trust that you can place in them. That trust may or may not be absolute depending on your political bent and whether or not you trust governments.

But none of that excuses Microsoft from not having E2E in Edge, and the fact that they refuse to use it, at best, is simple negligence of an important feature, and at worst, is them acknowledging that they plan to use the data.

Raising the expectation of privacy deters abuse and raises accountability, both in terms of user acceptance/adoption as well as legally. Edge's expectation of privacy is far lower right now than any other browser, which, for any browser by any company, is completely unacceptable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expectation_of_privacy

@Wittycat It doesn't work anyway. It shows "Subscribe" not "Unsubscribe."

@Kam Lower. They only guarantee in-flight and in-storage encryption. That's literally the whole point of this discussion.

@ragingrei Hmm... Maybe you're right. Don't know

@Kam 

if there is no unsubscribe button, click on subscribe then then when the page refreshes, click unsubscribe 

@Kam 

@Kam wrote:
@WittycatThen how do I get my other subscription updates?

click on profile icon at top right and go to subscriptions, unsubscribe from topics

fdfdf.png

go to "my settings" => subscriptions and notifications => notification settings and turn them off

ffdfd.png

in profile settings again go to preferences => preference option and turn this off

fffff.png

@ragingrei 

I think I also want the same thing now, for Microsoft to implement their version of end-to-end encryption using a pass phrase of our choosing on Edge sync data, albeit in a close source fashion. i prefer that to not having it.

@ragingrei Can I add this as one of my SSs? @HotCakeX You too.
@ragingrei Got it. Get ready for SS42! If you want, check the discussion space every 20 minutes until you see it.
@ragingrei Just wanted to inform you that SS42 is now live!

@Kam 

@Kam wrote:
@ragingreiJust wanted to inform you that SS42 is now live!

this topic is already suggesting it.

@Kam 

@Kam wrote:
@ragingreiGot it. Get ready for SS42! If you want, check the discussion space every 20 minutes until you see it.

It's better to send it using feedback button on Edge browser. there are a lot of unrelated topics in Edge discussion that these things get lost there.

@Kam 

@Kam wrote:
@ragingreiCan I add this as one of my SSs? @HotCakeX You too.

SS doesn't mean suggestion, that's just a weird thing someone else said.

also using classification and personal priority and other things in the post is ridiculous.