Edge continues to be the only major browser with no end-to-end sync encryption

Brass Contributor

Every other browser, including Chrome, does end-to-end encryption.

Before, there was no mention of Sync privacy under any privacy pages. The Edge Privacy Whitepaper now describes how Edge secures Sync data:

All synced data is encrypted in transit over HTTPS when transferred between the browser and Microsoft servers. The synced data is also stored in an encrypted state in Microsoft servers. Sensitive data types such as addresses and passwords are further encrypted on the device before being synced. If you are using a work or school account, all data types are further encrypted before being synced using Microsoft Information Protection. All other synced data types are stored until you delete the data, the account is deleted, or the account becomes inactive. An account ID is attached to all synced data, as the ID is necessary to perform sync across multiple devices.

In other words, Microsoft employees can still see your browser history and any other sensitive information with the only exception of securely stored passwords.

Intentions aside, this is really just not a good look.

98 Replies
@Wittycat Thank you! All of you who have provided opinions here let's calm down.
@HotCakeX ragingrei said my sentence, but with a "not" after the second word.

@Wittycat 

If you want to think like that then no software is ever finished, everything is constantly improving.

Microsoft doesn't have to add everything from Chromium to Edge. not everything Google adds to Chromium is correct and good.

also like I said, there is no way to verify Google chrome is actually end to end encrypting your data, simply because you can't see what happens on their server. so it's all about trust.

when it comes to trust, people are divided. some people trust a company, others don't.

for example, I don't trust Google, some other people don't trust Microsoft.

a lot of people don't trust Facebook and thus WhatsApp's end to end encryption (because same company owns both products).

so I don't see why end to end encryption (in this mode) is important or necessary if the end user can't be 100% sure they data is actually being end to end encrypted.

i personally trust PGP encryption more than Google chrome's encryption which is based on "trust".

@Kam 

@Kam wrote:
@WittycatThank you! All of you who have provided opinions here let's calm down.

We are calm lol 

@HotCakeX i wasn't telling about End to end but in general some function isn't there (like sync who isn't finished) so yes it's an unfinished product, so say it evolve yes and no.

A software evolve with update, for now, edge is in construction, so tell "Edge continues to be the only major browser with no end-to-end encryption" OR "Microsoft doesn't have to add everything from Chromium to Edge" is not relevant here since the software isn't finished (finished if we take what function MUST be their to be a major browser), BUT i agree with you than i prefer a non encrypted data in Microsoft Database since they can't loose trust (just like apple) on privacy, than a promise of my data "Encrypted" By Google.

@Wittycat 

Sync is an exception because the browser itself says coming soon, but other than that Edge stable is finished and not in construction for the moment, until the next version is ready to replace the current stable version. 

Google Chrome and Chromium are not finished either, they keep evolving.

Edge might not have all features of Chrome and Chrome might not have all features of Edge, but that doesn't make any of them incomplete. 

with your ideology, all software would be in construction and work in progress because they are evolving with updates.

@HotCakeX Not actually my ideology is the one of any dev.

If the specifications is not reached it's unfinished.

So for me Edge will be a finished product and in evolution state only when all function will be here.

So it will be finished "for me" only when the sync will be activated for all.

@HotCakeX wrote:

I have a legitimate question though, how can you know Google chrome has end to end encryption? how do you verify that?

You can inspect the Chromium source code, compile it yourself, run it through a debugger, and see that it does indeed encrypt against your key. You can also just run it through a tool like Fiddler and you'll see that it isn't plaintext.

apple,. they can do it themselves, never believe just anything you read on the news.

there is also Israeli company that breaks apple phones and sells these technologies to whoever pays.

Again, the point isn't that it can't be done; it's that it's difficult to do in plain sight. The point isn't to limit what openly bad actors can't do; it's to limit what supposedly good actors can.

@ragingrei You said Chromium source code, Edge is built on Chromium.

@Kam Edge doesn't use Chromium's sync. If it did, it would be syncing to Google's servers.

@ragingrei Really? Microsoft has modified the code.

@Kam 

@Kam wrote:
@HotCakeXLet's not go off-topic.

What are you talking about dude? nobody is going off topic. stop the annoying behavior

@HotCakeXOk, ok, what I wanted to say is that only you're calm, how do you know the others are calm? I'm thinking that this reply and yours and mine and "we are calm" is off topic.

@HotCakeX That's what I said. Microsoft has modified the code.

@Kam 

@Kam wrote:
@HotCakeXOk, ok, what I wanted to say is that only you're calm, how do you know the others are calm? I'm thinking that this reply and yours and this:

because you keep accusing people of going off topic while you yourself go off topic all the time and talk about calmness or how we are.

it's annoying.

I know and that's how it's modified.
I don't care, just stop filling up threads with unrelated unnecessary posts. we were talking about an entirely different subject, the topic's subject.